Active COVID-19 cases slightly increase from Thursday's numbers

ASU cases have slightly increased amid vaccination efforts across the state and arrival of new COVID-19 variants

Biodesign COVID Test

A volunteer collects test tubes from people who have completed the ASU Biodesign saliva test on Tuesday, July 28, 2020, outside State Farm Stadium in Glendale. 

The University reported a total of 66 active cases as of Monday, an increase of 15 cases since Thursday's total of 51 active cases.

There are 50 active cases among off-campus students in the metropolitan Phoenix area, with 10 students in isolation on the Tempe campus. There are no active cases on the Downtown Phoenix, West or Polytechnic campuses.

Faculty and staff make up six of the known active cases.

Since Jan. 1, the University has reported 1,897 cumulative cases out of the more than 69,161 tests administered in that time frame.

Of the cases since Jan. 1, students make up 1,582 and employees make up 315. The total number of cumulative cases since Aug. 1 is 6,402 within the ASU community. ASU has had a positivity rate of roughly 2.6% since Aug. 1.

In an email statement Friday, University Provost Mark Searle and Chief Financial Officer Morgan Olsen marked the one year anniversary of ASU's conversion to remote instruction, saying the ASU community will keep following safety protocols such as wearing masks, physical distancing and limitations on the number of people who can gather together.

Random COVID-19 testing will still be conducted. However, if a student or faculty member receives the vaccine, they are exempt from selection for the University's random COVID-19 testing program if they upload an image of their official vaccination card, the email said.

Searle and Olsen wrote no final decision has been made on holding spring commencement physically or virtually.

"It remains our wish to return to more in-person activities as soon as we can be assured that it is safe to do so — most certainly by the fall semester," they wrote.

The Arizona Department of Health Services reported 638 new cases and zero new deaths Monday.

In the state of Arizona, 3,024,585 COVID-19 vaccines have been distributed. Of those distributed, 2,605,621 doses have been administered, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

This past Friday, Arizona reported three new cases of the P.1 variant first detected in Brazil. As of Thursday, only 10 states in the U.S. had the variant with a total of 25 cases, based on the data from the CDC.

Based on studies from the CDC, the vaccines seem to be effective in stopping the COVID-19 variants.

Reach the reporter at anatar12@asu.edu or follow @AnushaNat1 on Twitter.

Anusha NatarajanDiversity Officer

Anusha Natarajan is in her third year at ASU studying sociology, history, and political science. She previously served as a reporter for the community and culture desk for four semester and helps with Spanish translation and oversees diversity efforts in the newsroom. 

×