Baseball's nine-hit afternoon powers ASU team to win over Utah

The Sun Devils defeated the Utes, improving their winning streak to five games

DSC_3682.JPG

ASU redshirt freshman outfielder Joe Lampe (5) watches the ball fly after batting against University of Hawai'i on Saturday, Feb. 27, 2021, at Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Phoenix. ASU won 6-5.

The ASU baseball team defeated Utah 4-1 on Saturday at Phoenix Municipal Stadium to improve to 7-2 on the season.

The Sun Devils' winning streak now sits at five games after opening the season 2-2 through the first four contests.

Redshirt freshman Sean McLain opened scoring in the bottom of the second with a two-run shot to left field. McLain's homer scored fellow freshman Ethan Long, who had singled earlier in the inning, giving ASU a two-run lead.

ASU added a third unanswered run in the bottom of the sixth with a single from freshman Blake Pivaroff advancing Long home again.

Utah did not find the scoreboard until the top of the seventh inning on a Shea Kramer double, scoring left fielder Vinny Zavolta in the team's only run of the afternoon.

ASU tagged back with a run of its own in the bottom half of the inning with a double from redshirt junior Hunter Jump to bring home freshman and Phoenix native Hunter Haas; the double secured a fourth run for the Sun Devils.

Sun Devil pitcher Erik Tolman picked up his second win of the season, with five strikeouts through the first five innings of the game. Of Tolman's 64 total pitches, 44 have been strikes.

The Utes were outmatched by the Sun Devils at the plate, earning just six hits and striking out 11 times, compared to nine hits and only five strikeouts for the Sun Devils.

No. 19 ASU and Utah will face off again Sunday in the third of six meetings between the two programs this season.

Reach the reporter at aklatsky@asu.edu and follow @averyklatsky on Twitter. 

×