Men's basketball's offense struggled in a defeat at No. 24 Colorado

The Sun Devils scored a season-low of 61 points in penultimate game

MBB5.jpg

ASU senior guard Remy Martin (1) calls a play against UA at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe, on Thursday, January 21, 2021. ASU lost 84-82.

ASU men's basketball fell 75-61 at No. 24 Colorado on Thursday, dropping to 10-12 on the season.

The Sun Devils won their previous three games, but struggled on offense in this one, posting a season-low in points and tying a season-low in field goals.

Most notably, senior guard Remy Martin, who scored at least 20 points in his last eight games, was held to just six points on 1-9 shooting. This marked the seventh time he has been held to single-digit scoring over the last two seasons.

"Our guards couldn't effectively get by their guards," ASU head coach Bobby Hurley said. "McKinley Wright (IV), (Eli) Parquet, those guys did a nice job, Parquet especially, with Remy, limiting his touches. So their defense impacted the offensive end of the floor for us."

Hurley also noted a lack of ball movement, which has been a prevailing issue for the team throughout the season. The Sun Devil's nine assists tied their second-lowest mark of the season.

Senior guard Alonzo Verge Jr., ASU's second-leading available scorer, struggled as well, posting just eight points on 3-12 shooting.

Freshman forward Marcus Bagley, who missed the previous seven games with an ankle injury, made his return to the court off the bench, but was held scoreless on just 0-3 shooting. Hurley said Bagley, who played just 20 minutes, was not on an official minutes restriction but it was a matter of the "eye test," and the team's goal is for him to be at his best for the upcoming Pac-12 tournament.

Despite the lack of star production, the Sun Devils got strong offensive showings elsewhere, as senior guard Holland Woods stepped up with 15 points and sophomore guard Jaelen House tied his season-high with 13. 

"If it wasn't for those two, we'd have been really in a bad spot," Hurley said of their combined 7-8 shooting in the first half.

Senior forward Kimani Lawrence also reached double digits for the sixth straight game with10 points.

Although Hurley commended the team's defensive effort for most of the game, he said he was displeased with their performance in the game's final minutes.

"I didn't like how we finish at all," Hurley said. "They had too many layups. They scored numerous times. We kind of just folded some defensively."

For Colorado, Wright scored 24 points on 10-17 shooting and added four assists, while senior forward Jeriah Horne added 12 points off the bench.

The Sun Devils will next face Utah on Saturday in their final regular-season game.

Reach the reporter at cbreber@asu.edu and follow @carsobi on Twitter.

×