ASU men's tennis picks up win, women lose consecutive games

Men's tennis improved to a 10-1 home record, while women's tennis dropped two games on the road

Tennis Feb 21

ASU senior Makey Rakotomalala prepares to hit against Pepperdine University at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe on Friday, Feb. 5, 2021. ASU defeated Pepperdine 6-1.

ASU men's tennis picked up a win against Utah State, and women's tennis dropped two games on its road trip this past week.

Men

No. 19 ASU men's tennis won 4-1 against Utah State on Sunday in Tempe to improve to a 13-3 record.

ASU picked up the doubles point with consecutive wins. Seniors Makey Rakotomalala and Tim Ruehl won 6-0 against redshirt freshman Jack Ninteman and sophomore Roko Savin. Senior Nathan Ponwith and sophomore George Stoupe followed up with a 6-2 win over senior Felipe Acosta and sophomore Javier Ruiz.

The Sun Devils won three of four singles matches to secure the victory. Rakotomalala won 6-1, 6-0 against Acosta, Ruehl won 6-1, 4-6, 6-0 against fifth-year senior Sergiu Bucur and sophomore Christain Lerby won 6-7, 6-3, 6-3 against redshirt freshman Souf El Mesbahi

Stoupe suffered ASU's only loss in singles, losing 6-4, 7-6 to Savin.

The Sun Devils improved their home record to 10-1 with the win.

ASU will continue its homestand and take on Idaho State next on March 24 at 9 a.m. MST in Tempe.

Women

No. 25 ASU women’s tennis was swept on the road this past weekend, losing 4-1 to No. 26 Stanford on Friday and 6-1 to No. 20 Cal on Saturday. 

The Sun Devils went down quickly in doubles against the Cardinal, as seniors Lauryn John-Baptiste and Ilze Hattingh lost 6-3 to junior Niluka Madurawe and senior Michaela Gordon. Freshman Marianna Argyrokastriti and redshirt senior Sammi Hampton lost their match 6-4 to freshman Ana Geller and fifth-year senior Emily Arbuthnott

Stanford proceeded to win three of four singles matches to secure the victory. John-Baptiste lost to Geller 6-3, 6-2, Arbuthnott defeated Hampton 6-3, 7-5 and junior Domenika Turkovic lost to fifth-year senior Emma Higuchi 6-0, 1-6, 6-4.  

Freshman Giulia Morlet was the only Sun Devil to win their singles match, winning 6-2, 6-4 against junior Sara Choy

ASU scored the doubles point against Cal by winning two straight matches. Argyrokastriti and Hampton defeated senior Anna Bright and freshman Hannah Viller Moeller 6-3 in their doubles match. Morlet and Turkovic earned the doubles point with a 6-1 win over freshman Jada Bui and senior Julia Rosenqvist

However, Cal dominated singles play, winning all six of the singles matches against ASU to secure the victory.

ASU will play next against New Mexico State on Wednesday, March 24 at 1:30 p.m. MST in Tempe.

Reach the reporters at lhertz@asu.edu and jhorst2@asu.edu, and follow @laurenrachell_  and  @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×