Balanced team effort leads to first-place finish for ASU men's golf in The Goodwin

The Sun Devils were one of two teams that finished under par

20210327 M Golf

ASU fifth-year senior Chun An Yu finishes his shot at The Goodwin tournament at Stanford Golf Course in Stanford, California at an unknown date. ASU finished the tournament in first place by shooting 15 strokes under par.

No. 5 ASU men's golf finished first in the 28-team The Goodwin tournament in Stanford, California, the team's first top finish since Feb. 4.

ASU finished the three-day tournament 15 strokes under par, eight strokes ahead of second-place Stanford. ASU and Stanford were the only teams that finished under par. 

After finishing the first day of the tournament in second place, ASU jumped into first after shooting seven strokes under par on the second day. The Sun Devils held their lead by shooting six strokes under par on day three.

A collective team effort delivered the first-place finish, as all five golfers who competed for ASU finished in the top 25 of the individual leaderboard, and two finished in the top 10.

Sophomore Ryggs Johnston and fifth-year senior Chun An Yu finished as the highest-ranked Sun Devils on the individual leaderboard. Both ended the tournament five strokes under par and finished tied for seventh overall. 

Yu shot his best round of the season on the second day of the tournament by finishing five strokes under par.

Sophomore David Puig finished just outside the top 10, tying for 11th place by shooting two strokes under par.

Senior Mason Andersen and junior Cameron Sisk were two of nine players who finished tied for 24th with two strokes over par. Sisk ended the final day strong, hitting two birdies in the final three holes to preserve his score.

ASU will play next in the Augusta Haskins two-day tournament in Augusta, Georgia, starting on April 3.

Reach the reporter at drodish@asu.edu and follow @david_rodish on Twitter.

×