Olympic sports roundup: Soccer wins first game against UCLA in over 20 years

The Sun Devils' soccer team scored its first win over the Bruins since 2000, and the volleyball team suffered its fifth series sweep of the season

20210307 ASU Women's Soccer v. Washington-2.jpg

ASU junior midfielder Alexia Delgado (8) blocks a pass from Washington junior forward Summer Yates (10) at the Sun Devil Football Stadium in Tempe on Sunday, March 7, 2021. ASU and Washington tied 1-1 in double overtime.

ASU soccer's historic win highlighted the University's Olympic sports this week, while the volleyball team failed to sustain its momentum after winning in Stanford last week by suffering a sweep to Colorado.

Soccer

Junior forward Cori Sullivan's golden goal lifted ASU soccer to a 2-1 upset victory over previously unbeaten UCLA Friday in Los Angeles.

ASU (7-1-2) defeated UCLA (8-1-1) for the first time since 2000 and just the second time ever in program history.

The Sun Devils trailed for most of the game, with the Bruins finding the back of the net in the 16th minute. Junior forward Olivia Nguyen eventually tied the score in the 82nd minute to force overtime. 

Shortly after the game-tying goal, UCLA senior forward Kennedy Faulknor received a red card, leaving UCLA with just 10 players on the field for the remainder of the game. 

In the 98th minute, Sullivan sent a pass from junior forward Nicole Douglas to the back of the net to cap off a thrilling comeback over UCLA.

Sophomore goalkeeper Giulia Cascapera recorded two saves on three shots in the game.

ASU will return home to play next against Cal on April 2 at 7 p.m. MST. 

Volleyball 

ASU volleyball lost to Colorado 3-2 (13-25, 25-16, 25-13, 14-25, 16-14) on Friday in Boulder, Colorado.

ASU pulled away in the first set with two 4-0 runs and a 5-0 run to comfortably win it 25-13. Colorado never held the lead in the set and didn't sustain a run greater than 2-0. 

Colorado found its footing by starting the second set with a 4-0 run and never looked back. Two additional 3-0 runs from the Buffaloes helped them win the second set 25-16. 

After ASU stayed within four points of tying the third set, Colorado broke away with seven unanswered points, eventually winning the set 25-13.

The Sun Devils used runs of 3-0 and 4-0 to build a lead early in the fourth set and eventually produced a 5-0 run late in the set to win it 25-14.

In the fifth set, Colorado went on a 5-0 run to take an 8-5 lead. However, ASU responded with a 3-0 run to tie the score. The two teams traded points all the way to 14-14, but Colorado scored the final two points of the set to win it 16-14. 

On Sunday, ASU volleyball lost to Colorado 3-0 (25-23, 27-25, 26-24) to suffer its fifth series sweep of the season.

The Sun Devils produced three early 3-0 runs to help them build a 14-9 lead in the first set, but Colorado responded with a 5-0 run to tie the score. After trading multiple runs to tie the set at 23-23, Colorado scored the final two points of the set to win it 25-23.

ASU overcame an early 6-0 run from Colorado in the second set to tie the score at 13 points apiece, and the two teams continued to trade points up until 24-24. Despite ASU holding set point, Colorado ended the set on a 3-0 run to win it 27-25.

In the third set, the Sun Devils once again battled to weather multiple runs from the Buffaloes, overcoming runs of 5-0 and 3-0 to eventually tie the score at 24-24. However, two errors from ASU gave Colorado the final two points needed to win the set.

ASU will play next against Oregon on April 1 at 7 p.m. MST in Tempe to begin its final series of the regular season.

Reach the reporters at njpietrz@asu.edu and dmwilhe1@asu.edu, and follow @NPietrzycki and @dmwilhelm225 on Twitter. 

×