Strong final round propels ASU women's golf to first-place finish in Clover Cup

Linn Grant and Olivia Mehaffey finished first and second in the individual rankings, respectively

ASU Womens Golf PING-ASU Golf Invitational Round 3-74.jpg

ASU now-senior Alessandra Fanali competes during round three of competition at the PING/ASU Golf Invitational Sunday, March 31. 2019, at Papago Golf Course in Phoenix, Arizona.

Fifth-year senior Olivia Mehaffey shot 10 strokes under par on the final day of the Clover Cup to lead No. 8 ASU women's golf to a first-place finish in the tournament in Mesa, Arizona.

ASU shot 11 strokes under par in the final round to leapfrog UA into first place and end the tournament at 16 strokes under par.

With the team in second place after two days, Mehaffey carried the Sun Devils to a first-place finish by going shooting 10 strokes under par on the final day of the tournament, the best individual day score for any golfer. 

Sophomore Linn Grant provided consistency for ASU throughout the tournament, hitting three strokes under par each day and finishing with a tournament-best nine strokes under par. This is the fourth time Grant has finished first in the individual rankings this season, one of which she tied for first with junior Alexandra Forsterling

Forsterling, who competed as an individual, tied for fifth on the individual leaderboard by finishing six strokes under par.

Freshman Ashley Menne finished one stroke under par, the only other Sun Devil outside of Grant and Mehaffey to finish under par. Junior Alessandra Fanali finished two strokes over par, and sophomore Amanda Linner finished 11 strokes over par.

Freshman Breyana Matthews saw her first action for ASU competing as an individual, finishing 15 strokes over par in the tournament. Matthews improved throughout the tournament, finishing one stroke under par on the final day after two days at eight strokes over par.

Senior Raquel Olmos, who competed as an individual, hit nine strokes over par on the first day but did not compete in days two or three.

ASU will compete next in the PING/ASU Invitational in Phoenix starting on March 26.

Reach the reporter at drodish@asu.edu and follow @david_rodish on Twitter.

×