ASU men's basketball guard Holland Woods enters NCAA transfer portal

The senior played in all 25 games for the Sun Devils in 2020-21, the only player on the team to do so

DSC_2333 copy.jpg

ASU senior guard Holland Woods (0) brings the ball up court versus Oregon State on Sunday, Feb. 14, 2021 at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe. ASU won 75-73.

ASU men's basketball senior guard Holland Woods entered the NCAA transfer portal Wednesday, according to ESPN's Jeff Borzello.

Woods played one year with ASU after transferring from Portland State, where he played three seasons and earned First-Team All-Big Sky Conference honors as a junior.

Woods, a Phoenix native, played all 25 games for the Sun Devils in 2020-21, the only player on the team to do so. He also started 12 games, including the team's last 10. 

Woods finished the season averaging 6.7 points per game. The guard scored 10 points or more in six games, including a season-high 18 points against USC. He also finished the season third on the team in total assists behind senior guards Alonzo Verge Jr. and Remy Martin.

The guard's move continues ASU's roster turnover. Sophomore guard Jaelen House, along with junior forwards Taeshon Cherry and Chris Osten, have all either entered the transfer portal or have announced their next team. Freshmen Josh Christopher and Marcus Bagley have both declared for the 2021 NBA Draft.

ASU recently added three transfers to fill in for the departures, including University of Toledo senior guard Marreon Jackson, the 2020-21 Mid-American Conference Player of the Year.

Woods will either be classified as a graduate transfer or use his fifth year of eligibility granted by the NCAA due to disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Reach the reporter at alexjweiner@gmail.com and follow @alexjweiner on Twitter.

×