No. 10 ASU men's golf uses strong team effort to place second at Thunderbird Collegiate

All five Sun Devils whose scores counted toward the team score finished at or below par

DSC_3783.jpg

ASU now-junior Cameron Sisk plays in the Maui Jim Invitational at Mirabel Golf Club in Scottsdale, on Friday, Sept. 21, 2018.

No. 10 ASU men's golf finished second at the Thunderbird Collegiate in Phoenix, with all five ASU golfers contributing to the team score finishing at or below par.

ASU collectively finished 30 strokes under par, which was only four strokes worse than first-place Texas Christian University.

Sophomores David Puig and Ryggs Johnston, along with fifth-year senior Chun An Yu, all placed in the top 13 individually. 

Puig finished the tournament 10 strokes under par, tying for sixth place. Johnston finished at eight strokes under par to tie for 11th place. Yu shot seven strokes under par and tied for 13th place.

Junior Cameron Sisk and senior Mason Andersen also turned in solid performances, with the former shooting four strokes under par and the latter finishing at even par.

Graduate student Blake Wagoner, who competed as an individual, finished at even par as well. 

Freshman Jeewon Park and sophomore Gabe Salvanera, both of whom competed as individuals, finished at 10 and 17 strokes above par, respectively. 

Puig said in a Zoom press conference Tuesday that the team would look to take advantage of the tough greens at Papago Golf Course, where ASU practices, to win shots over other teams.

"The greens are really tough, they're usually firm and fast," Puig said. "I think all teams are going to miss a lot of putts. I think that's where we can win a lot of shots, on the greens."

With the final tournament out of the way, ASU is looking forward to competing at the three majors — the Pac-12 Championship, the NCAA Regionals and the NCAA Championship — to end the season.

"We've had a very solid season," coach Matt Thurmond said Tuesday. "Coming into the postseason, we're a little under the radar, we haven't been the dominant team that a lot of people expected us to be. It gives (us) a chip on our shoulder and a little more hunger."

ASU will start the Pac-12 Championships on April 26 in Santa Rosa, California. 

Reach the reporter at drodish@asu.edu and follow @david_rodish on Twitter.

×