ASU women's basketball associate head coach becomes new head coach at Tulsa

Angie Nelp accepted the Golden Hurricane's head coaching position Monday after spending four seasons with the Sun Devils

Nelp action.jpg

Now-former ASU women's basketball associate head coach Angie Nelp gives instructions to her team from the sideline against Washington at Alaska Airlines Arena in Seattle, Washington on Friday, Jan. 17, 2020. Nelp was named the University of Tulsa's next head women's basketball coach Monday.

ASU women's basketball associate head coach Angie Nelp accepted an offer to become the next women's basketball head coach at the University of Tulsa.

Nelp spent the past four seasons with the Sun Devils and helped lead the team to a 76-47 record in that time. The Sun Devils made two NCAA Tournament appearances during her tenure.

"I am extremely humbled and excited to be the next head coach of the women's basketball team at The University of Tulsa," Nelp said in Tulsa's announcement Monday. "Our team will represent the values of this great university and its commitment to excellence. We will be a team that plays for each other, gives our best effort in all we do, and competes for championships.  My family and I are looking forward to being part of the TU family." 

Nelp won the 1998 Oklahoma Gatorade Player of the Year at Canadian High School and went on to play college basketball at Colorado State. She has since then worked at multiple schools as an assistant coach, including Mercer University and Rice University. 

After joining the Sun Devil staff as an assistant coach in 2017 under head coach Charli Turner Thorne, she was promoted to associate head coach in April 2020.

"Angie has the skillset and mindset to be an unbelievably successful head coach," Turner Thorne said in an emailed statement. "Tulsa could not have found someone who will work harder and care more about her players and the program."

Turner Thorne expressed gratefulness for Nelp's time at ASU and added "truth be told she has been ready to be a head coach since I hired her and she will very quickly show everyone she is an outstanding coach and an even better person."

Reach the reporter at aklatsky@asu.edu and follow @averyklatsky on Twitter. 

×