Fire breaks out on roof of ASU's ISTB 7 construction site

Over 100 firefighters responded to control a fire at Interdisciplinary Science and Technology Building 7, located near Rural Road and University Drive

20210511 Tempe Fire 0001.jpg

Firefighters battle a fire on the roof of Interdisciplinary Science and Technology Building 7 on the ASU Tempe campus from Tempe Fire Department’s fire engine L273 on Tuesday, May 11, 2021. ISTB 7, which has a projected cost of $192 million, is currently under construction.

Over 100 firefighters responded to a second-alarm fire at the Interdisciplinary Science and Technology Building 7 construction site on Tuesday night, a Tempe Fire Department official said.

Firefighters from Tempe, Scottsdale, Phoenix and Mesa fire departments fought the fire from outside of the building, located near ASU's Tempe campus, due to the construction and the size of the fire, according to Tempe Fire Department Public Information Officer Brandon Siebert. 

All employees in the building at the time the fire broke out were safely evacuated and no injuries have been reported, Siebert said.

The fire was centralized to the roof of the building and was under control by 7:30 p.m., he said.

The ASU Police Department said on Twitter that construction materials on the roof of the building caught fire. At this time, the cause of the fire is still unknown and being investigated. 

Valley Metro said in a tweet that stops between the Veterans Way/College Avenue station and the Dorsey Lane/Apache Boulevard station were shut down due to the fire.

ISTB 7 is a new “high-performance research facility” that will house the College of Global Futures, the Julie Ann Wrigley Global Institute of Sustainability, the Rob and Melani Walton Sustainability Solutions Service, School of Sustainability and the Institute of Human Origins, according to its website.

The $192 million project began construction in January 2019 and is expected to be finished in December 2021.

The University did not have a statement as of 9:20 p.m.

This is a breaking story and will be updated as new information is made available. 

Reach the reporter at rpriest2@asu.edu and follow @reaganspriest on Twitter.

Reagan PriestManaging Editor

Reagan Priest is a managing editor, overseeing and working with the six digital desks at The State Press. She previously worked as a social justice reporter for Cronkite News and as a digital production intern at The Arizona Republic.

×