ASU announces return to pre-pandemic campus operations

All staff are expected to return to in-person work arrangements no later than July 15 in preparation for the fall semester

Students walk around ASU Tempe Campus COVID stock

Students walk down Palm Walk on the Tempe campus on Thursday, April 20, 2021. After a year of pandemic schooling, ASU plans for a full in-person return this fall.

In an email sent on Friday morning, Provost Mark Searle and Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Morgan Olsen announced that ASU's campuses will return to pre-pandemic operations on July 15.

Citing an increase in vaccinations and a decline in COVID-19 cases, the University is resuming normal teaching operations the week of Aug. 16 in preparation for full-campus immersion teaching before Fall 2021 classes begin Aug. 19.

"We are looking forward to providing our students with a full campus experience that will include in-person classes and in-person learning opportunities, extracurricular activities, and support," the email said.

All staff are expected to return to their pre-pandemic work arrangements at ASU locations no later than July 15. Alternative workplace arrangements can be requested due to COVID-19-related health concerns.

When the last school year started, ASU announced four learning modes ranging from mostly in-person to fully online instruction. On Feb. 15, the University announced it would return to learning mode one, which has most classes in person, for the fall semester.

The University has not made COVID-19 vaccinations mandatory for staff or students but says it is expecting all members of the ASU community to get vaccinated. ASU is offering free vaccines to students and employees through their ASU Health Portals.

Staff members who are vaccinated and have submitted their vaccination records to the University will no longer be required to wear masks inside ASU buildings or complete the daily health check. Unvaccinated staff members will be required to wear masks inside all ASU buildings and will be subject to COVID-19 testing.

Those who are fully vaccinated may continue to wear masks if they wish, and the University is encouraging the use of masks in crowded areas. 

In August, all employees will be expected to complete the updated 2021 Community of Care training related to COVID-19 and the return to campus.

"ASU continues to evaluate flexible work arrangements, taking into consideration lessons we have learned about hybrid working environments and the value of in-person engagements and may communicate options later this year," the email said. "For now, our students are excited to come back to a full in-person campus experience and we are excited to support them."

Reach the reporter at rpriest2@asu.edu and follow @reaganspriest on Twitter.

Reagan PriestManaging Editor

Reagan Priest is a managing editor, overseeing and working with the six digital desks at The State Press. She previously worked as a social justice reporter for Cronkite News and as a digital production intern at The Arizona Republic.

×