Active COVID-19 cases stay at 13 for third week

With almost half of its residents vaccinated against COVID-19, Arizona closed its state-run vaccine sites

20210518-19 Vaccine Sites 0001.jpg

A sign that reads “You’ve made it” is pictured in the entrance of the Gila River Arena in Glendale on Tuesday, May 18, 2021. Gila River Arena is one of three vaccination sites that ASURE is partnered with. 

For the third week in a row, ASU reported 13 total active COVID-19 cases among students, faculty and staff.

According to the University update, students make up 11 cases, and the remaining two are among faculty and staff.  

There are no active student cases on the Tempe, Downtown Phoenix, West or Polytechnic campuses; all cases are off-campus in the metropolitan Phoenix area.

Since Jan. 1, the University has reported 2,298 total positive cases out of the 98,316 tests administered, yielding a total positivity rate of about 2.3%. 

The Arizona Department of Health Services reported 413 new cases of COVID-19 and no new deaths in the state Monday. Nearly half of Arizonans have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.

The numbers come as the state ended its mass vaccination program that has administered over 1.6 million vaccines and vaccinated over 875,000 people. Several of the state-run sites, the first of which was operational in January, were managed in collaboration with ASU's Research Enterprise

Because of the increasing availability of COVID-19 vaccines in Arizona, the state began phasing out the mass sites in early June, redirecting the focus of vaccination efforts to local doctor’s offices, pharmacies and pop-up clinics. 

In a press release regarding the closure of the state-run sites, ADHS Director Dr. Cara Christ thanked those involved with the mass vaccination efforts.

"We are tremendously grateful to the partners, volunteers, and staff who have worked tirelessly since January to offer this convenient and efficient way to get vaccine into the community," Christ said. "We are proud of what these sites have accomplished and also proud of the Arizonans who have stepped up to get vaccinated at these facilities."

So far, over 3.5 million Arizonans have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine with over 6.4 million doses administered. 

ASU students can schedule their vaccine appointments through the Health Portal, and COVID-19 vaccination appointments are available on the ADHS vaccine patient portal

Reach the reporter at alcamp12@asu.edu and follow @Anna_Lee_Camp on Twitter.

×