ASU baseball's Drew Swift named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year

The shortstop became the first Sun Devil ever to win the award

IMG_0121.JPG

ASU redshirt junior infielder Drew Swift (6) throws to first against Washington State at Phoenix Municipal Stadium on Friday, March 26, 2021. ASU won 10-0.

ASU baseball redshirt junior shortstop Drew Swift made history Thursday by winning Pac-12 Defensive Player of The Year, becoming the first player in the program's history to earn the award.

Swift started 51 games at shortstop this season after spending the majority of his Sun Devil career at second base. Swift finished the season with a .979 fielding percentage and played a role in ASU's NCAA-leading 57 double plays turned, providing a steady hand for an infield that featured three freshmen.

The honor comes two years after Swift was named an honorable mention for Pac-12's All-Defensive team in 2019 during his sophomore season.

Swift was also a consistent contributor at the plate for the Sun Devils in 2021, batting .313 with six home runs and 36 RBIs. 

In addition to his Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year honor, Swift was also named to the Pac-12's All-Conference Team along with freshman designated hitter Ethan Long. Redshirt freshmen infielders Sean McLain and Nate Baez received honorable mentions on the list.

Swift was named to the Pac-12's All-Defensive Team along with freshman third baseman Hunter Haas and redshirt freshman outfielder Joe Lampe.

Reach the reporter at ltochter@asu.edu and follow @Leo_Toch on Twitter.

×