ASU plans to permit full capacity at home football games

Sun Devil Stadium may hold its first full-capacity football game since 2019 in September

Sun Devil Stadium Fans

Sun Devil Stadium is pictured in Tempe on Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2020. Vice President for University Athletics Ray Anderson announced Monday that Sun Devil Athletics will be "moving forward with plans" to open Sun Devil Stadium at full capacity for home football games this fall.

ASU is "moving forward with plans" to open Sun Devil Stadium at full capacity for home football games this fall, Vice President for University Athletics Ray Anderson said in an announcement Monday.

"We will continue to work closely with health officials to evaluate fan protocols and will have detailed plans to share with our fan base in the weeks leading up to kickoff," Anderson said in the statement.

ASU's first home game this upcoming season, which is scheduled against Southern Utah University on Sept. 2, may become the first full-capacity football game Sun Devil Stadium has hosted since 2019.

The University has allowed a limited number of fans to attend baseball, softball and soccer games at their respective venues since March. ASU initially allowed up to 25% capacity at venues and eventually allowed up to 50% in May.

The University has made modifications to its protocols for attending games as more people receive a COVID-19 vaccine. Vaccinated fans have been able to attend games without having to wear a face covering since May 24.

Over 3.3 million people in Arizona have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, and over 2.9 million people in the state have been fully vaccinated. Daily COVID-19 cases throughout Arizona have continued to decrease. 

Reach the reporter at jspange1@asu.edu and follow @jspangenthal94 on Twitter.

Justin SpangenthalSports Reporter

Justin Spangenthal is a reporter for The State Press, currently covering Men's Golf and Track and Field. Justin transferred to ASU last January and is planning to graduate Fall '23. He is passionate about journalism and hopes to one day launch his own media outlet.

×