Active cases increase among ASU faculty, staff, students

With vaccination rates on the decline, the number of newly reported COVID-19 cases in Arizona is climbing

20210518-19 Vaccine Sites 0011.jpg

Signs guide people who receive a dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine to a recovery area in the Desert Financial Arena in Tempe on Wednesday, May 19, 2021. In the recovery area, people will sit and wait for 15 or 30 minutes, depending on their medical history, to make sure they don’t have an adverse reaction to the vaccine. 

ASU reported a total of 35 active COVID-19 cases among students, faculty and staff Monday, which is an increase of 13 cases from the previous University update July 12. 

According to the update, 25 of the cases are among students and the other 10 cases are among faculty and staff.

There are no active student cases on the Tempe, Downtown Phoenix, West or Polytechnic campuses; all cases are off campus in the metropolitan Phoenix area, according to the update.

Since Jan. 1, the University has reported 2,338 total positive cases out of 101,157 tests administered, yielding a total percent positivity rate of about 2.3%. 

The Arizona Department of Health Services reported 909,282 total cases of COVID-19, 1,034 new cases and zero new deaths in the state Monday. 

Arizona's seven-day case rate per 100,000 people ranked seventh Monday among U.S. states and territories, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's COVID Data Tracker.

On July 8, Arizona hit a milestone as 50% of the state population had received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. As of Monday, 51.1% of the state had been vaccinated, according to ADHS

As of Monday, the state had administered nearly 6.7 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, and almost 3.3 million Arizonans had been fully vaccinated. 

Nationally, 56.1% of the country had received at least one dose of the vaccine and nearly 161.5 million people had been fully vaccinated, according to the CDC

However, vaccination rates are still on the decline in Arizona. Since the number of COVID-19 doses administered per day reached its peak on March 31, with 78,518 doses administered that day, the vaccine rate has been in decline. In July, the average dose administered per day for the month is 9,220.

In Maricopa County, about 2.1 million residents have received at least one dose of the vaccine, with 53% of residents who are 10 or older receiving at least one dose, according to Maricopa County’s vaccine dashboard

In the 85281 ZIP code, where ASU's Tempe campus is located, 48.3% of the population eligible to be vaccinated has received at least one dose. 

The University will continue to have COVID-19 vaccines available at ASU Health Services, and students can make appointments through the Health Portal

Reach the reporter at mcfisch4@asu.edu and follow @morgfisch on Twitter.

Morgan FischerPolitics Editor

Morgan Fischer is the politics editor, she works with her desk to cover topics related to politics in the ASU community. She has previously worked as an intern for RightThisMinute. 

×