Active COVID-19 cases increase as delta variant spreads

The number of active coronavirus cases within the ASU community has increased four weeks in a row

20210518-19 Vaccine Sites 0021.jpg

Pharmacist Trevor Lawrence fills a syringe with a dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe on Wednesday, May 19, 2021.

With just over two weeks before fall classes start, ASU reported 50 total active COVID-19 cases among students, faculty and staff, an increase of 15 from last week.

According to the Monday update, 29 cases are among students, and faculty and staff make up the remaining 21.

All active student cases are off campus in the metropolitan Phoenix area, and there are no students isolating on the Tempe, Downtown Phoenix, West or Polytechnic campuses.

Since Jan. 1, the University has reported 2,378 total positive cases out of 102,663 tests administered, yielding a total positivity rate of about 2.3%. 

According to the Arizona Department of Health Services, there were 1,441 new cases and no new deaths in the state Monday. Arizona’s total positivity rate is currently 9.7%.

On July 23, Gov. Doug Ducey issued a statement in response to the rising cases of the delta variant of COVID-19, now the dominant strain in the country, that urged Arizonans to get the vaccine. 

In June, Ducey issued an executive order barring public higher education institutions from requiring students to get vaccinated or show proof of vaccination.

READ MORE: Ducey issues order barring universities from requiring COVID-19 vaccine

"Businesses will stay open. Students will be able to attend school. There will be no mask mandates. We have a proven solution with the vaccine," Ducey said in the statement. "I strongly encourage every Arizonan who is eligible for the vaccine to get it so they can protect themselves and our whole state."

Currently, over half of Arizonans have been vaccinated, with 51.6% of people having received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, according to ADHS. Over 3.7 million Arizonans have received one dose, and over 6.7 million doses have been administered. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports 56.8% of the U.S. population has received one dose of the vaccine, and 49.1% of Americans are fully vaccinated. 

COVID-19 vaccines for students are available at ASU Health Services. Students can schedule a vaccination appointment through the Health Portal.

Reach the reporter at alcamp12@asu.edu and follow @Anna_Lee_Camp on Twitter.

×