Shady Park halts operations to implement sound mitigation

After Mirabella at ASU retirement complex residents complained about the bar and music venue's noise, Shady Park is undergoing construction

20210617 Shady Park 0001.jpg

Shady Park, a local bar and venue near University Drive and Mill Avenue in Tempe, is pictured on Thursday, June 17, 2021. Residents of Mirabella at ASU, a retirement community located directly across the street, have filed noise complaints with the city of Tempe against Shady Park.

Shady Park, a prominent restaurant, bar and music venue near Mill Avenue in downtown Tempe, is temporarily pausing operations to construct noise containment measures after receiving complaints from residents of a retirement complex just south of the venue.

"We are pausing operations to construct a step-pyramid over parts of the park to help contain sound," Shady Park said in a statement posted on Twitter Wednesday. "We sincerely hope this will make our neighbors happy." 

READ MORE: Retirement complex residents unhappy with music from venue near Mill Avenue

Shady Park's pause comes a few weeks after the establishment claimed residents of Mirabella at ASU began a campaign to shut down live music at the venue following its return after a 14-month pandemic hiatus. The post made in June also encouraged patrons to email Tempe City Council in support of the establishment. 

"Meetings have been held between Mirabella residents and management, and the City of Tempe including both the owner of Shady Park and his representatives," according to a statement from a University spokesperson obtained by the Phoenix New Times. "Conversations about noise and mitigation are ongoing and we are not aware of any steps toward legal action being taken by Mirabella residents."

Shady Park did not respond to requests for comment.

Residents of Mirabella at ASU moved into the complex last December. The retirement community was launched in an effort to facilitate lifelong learning and community engagement, located directly next to the heart of nightlife in Tempe: Mill Avenue. 

After Shady Park's initial post in June, supporters responded with an outpouring of social media love, from signing a Change.org petition to sharing posts with "#SaveShadyPark."

In response to the wave of community encouragement, Shady Park’s post on Wednesday also announced the creation of the Shady Park Community Fund. The fund is designed to provide monetary gifts to "Shady Park friends, neighbors, strangers, and those in need - with a focus on the greater Tempe/Phoenix area," according to a Twitter post.

At least a quarter of the annual profits from Peacocks Unlimited LLC, the company that runs Shady Park, will go to the fund, according to the post. 

"We congratulate the Shady Park team on the creation of their new non-profit and thank them for their care and consideration for the Tempe community," an emailed statement from the City of Tempe said in response to Shady Park's post.

"Shady Park is staying," the venue said in its statement Wednesday. "The trees are staying. We are planting even more. Tickets for future shows will be announced soon."

Reach the reporter at alcamp12@asu.edu and follow @Anna_Lee_Camp on Twitter.

×