Gov. Doug Ducey fills ABOR vacancies by appointing two new members

Bob Herbold and Jessica Pacheco were appointed to fill the seats of Kathryn Hackett King and Karrin Taylor Robson

ABOR_pachecho_herbold.jpg

Bob Herbold and Jessica Pacheco were appointed to the Arizona Board of Regents on July 19, 2021, by Gov. Doug Ducey

Gov. Doug Ducey appointed Bob Herbold and Jessica Pacheco to the Arizona Board of Regents Monday to fill vacancies left by two regents who ended their terms early.

Kathryn Hackett King and Karrin Taylor Robson ended their terms early "to pursue other opportunities," Ducey's announcement said. Ducey appointed King to the Arizona State Supreme Court on July 8, and Taylor Robson announced her campaign for Arizona governor in May.

King was appointed to ABOR in 2020, serving for a little over a year. Taylor Robson was appointed in 2017 and reappointed in 2020.

Herbold is the president of the Herbold Foundation, a nonprofit dedicated to providing scholarships to master's and Ph.D. students studying engineering and computer science. He is also the managing director of the Herbold Group and serves on the Board of Trustees of the Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.

Herbold worked at Microsoft for nine years as executive vice president and chief operating officer. He also spent 26 years working at Procter & Gamble Co.

"Arizona’s universities do an excellent job in serving students, maintaining talented educators and engaging with their communities — and I look forward to helping the Board of Regents to build on this continued success,” Herbold said in a statement released by the governor's office Monday.

Pacheco currently serves as president of the Board of Directors for the Arizona-Mexico Commission and as a member of the Executive Committee for the Arizona Chamber of Commerce. She is also a managing partner at Horizon Strategies, a defense services company.

She has previous involvement in various other Arizona business and community organizations, including the Arizona Chamber of Commerce Foundation, the Maricopa Community College Foundation Board and the Border Trade Alliance Board.

“I’m thrilled to join the Board of Regents and work to make our universities even stronger. My thanks goes to Governor Ducey for this incredible opportunity — I look forward to the work ahead," Pacheco said in a statement.

In a tweet, Ducey praised Herbold and Pacheco as excellent additions to the board. 

"Bob and Jessica are both actively involved in communities throughout Arizona, and they have vast experience in public service and leadership roles," the tweet read. "I’m grateful for their commitment to serving students, universities & taxpayers."

Reach the reporter at rpriest2@asu.edu and follow @reaganspriest on Twitter.

Reagan PriestManaging Editor

Reagan Priest is a managing editor, overseeing and working with the six digital desks at The State Press. She previously worked as a social justice reporter for Cronkite News and as a digital production intern at The Arizona Republic.

×