ASU reports 227 active COVID-19 cases

Of the current COVID-19 cases, 200 are among students and 27 are among staff

20210518-19 Vaccine Sites 0019.jpg

Pharmacist Trevor Lawrence fills a syringe with a dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine in Desert Financial Arena in Tempe on Wednesday, May 19, 2021.

The University reported 227 known positive COVID-19 cases within its community Monday, with 200 being students and 27 being faculty and staff. 

The number of cases decreased about 25% compared to last week's report of 304 cases. 

Out of the students who have tested positive, 170 are living off-campus in the metropolitan Phoenix area. There are 19 students who are in isolation on the Tempe campus, and there are 11 students in isolation across the Downtown Phoenix, West and Polytechnic campuses. 

Since Aug. 2, the University has conducted a total of 32,678 tests, which is 6,005 more than last week's report. Since Aug.1, the University has reported 784 positive COVID-19 cases, which is a roughly 2.3% positivity rate.  

From Sept. 13 to Sept. 19, the University collected 2,077 random saliva tests among students and employees. From the collected samples, 1,562 came from students and 515 came from employees. In total, 20 tests came back positive. 

As of Monday, the Arizona Department of Health Services reported 2,020 new positive COVID-19 cases and no new deaths. 

The Biden administration and the U.S Department of Health and Human Services announced they will be offering COVID-19 vaccine booster shots beginning Sept. 20.

The New York Times reported Monday the Food and Drug Administration is likely to authorize booster shots of the Pfizer vaccine for high-risk individuals and those age 65 and older later this week.

ASU announced in August it would be offering a third shot on a "case-by-case" basis to all immunocompromised people who request it through ASU Health Services.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "sometimes people who are moderately to severely immunocompromised do not build enough (or any) protection when they first get the vaccination. When this happens, getting another dose of the vaccine can sometimes help them build more protection against the disease." 

Joshua LaBaer, executive director of ASU's Biodesign Institute, previously said those who have been vaccinated for five months or longer are more likely to have a breakthrough case of COVID-19 than people who had their vaccine shots less than five months ago.

Reach the reporter at dtrujil8@asu.edu and follow @its_dani24 on Twitter. 

×