Active COVID-19 cases within ASU community decrease to 102

The University reported 42 fewer positive cases compared to last week's report

20210518-19 Vaccine Sites 0012.jpg

A vial of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine is shown in the Desert Financial Arena vaccine site in Tempe on Wednesday, May 19, 2021. 

Active COVID-19 cases within the University community have decreased from the 144 active cases reported on Oct. 11 to 102, according to a University update Monday. 

There are 83 positive cases within the student body, and 19 cases are among faculty and staff members. The number of positive cases in the student body has decreased by 44 and increased by two among faculty and staff.

In comparison to last week's report, the number of positive cases decreased by 29.17% within the ASU community as a whole.

A total of 77 of the 83 positive student cases are off-campus. Five students are in isolation on the Tempe campus and one student is in isolation on the Downtown Phoenix, West or Polytechnic campuses.

Since Aug. 1, 2021, ASU has reported a total of 1,114 positive COVID-19 test results. The University has conducted 51,863 tests since Aug. 2, yielding a positivity rate of roughly 2.4%.

Based on the weekly random testing results from Oct. 11 to Oct. 17, only three cases were reported positive, all of which were from off-campus students in the metropolitan Phoenix area. 

According to the New York Times, Arizona has a seven-day average of 1,659 positive COVID-19 cases as of Monday.

On Oct. 15, ASU, NAU and UA each announced it will require its employees to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus by Dec. 8. Employees may either show their proof of vaccination or request an accommodation on religious or medical grounds.

The requirements came in response to President Joe Biden's executive order on Sept. 9 requiring all federal employees to be fully vaccinated.

"It is essential that Federal employees take all available steps to protect themselves and avoid spreading COVID-19 to their co-workers and members of the public," the order stated. "The CDC has found that the best way to do so is to be vaccinated."

Reach the reporter at aaschul3@asu.edu and follow @schulzemiller on Twitter.

×