Kari Lake visits ASU College Republicans to discuss her run for governor

The former news anchor spoke about her views on COVID-19 and the media during her campus visit

211018 kari lake

Kari Lake (R-AZ) holds an ASU College Republicans banner for a photo in the Memorial Union on the ASU Tempe campus on Monday, Oct. 18, 2021. Lake spoke with the College Republicans to give insight on her campaign as part of the club's series of talks with GOP candidates for Arizona Governor.

Former news anchor and Republican gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake visited ASU College Republicans Monday to discuss the stances of her campaign platform including mainstream media, abortion and the Southern border.

Students at the meeting responded positively to Lake's visit and her policies, clapping and cheering loudly in support of many of her statements.

Lake retired from journalism in February 2021 to run for governor after spending more than 20 years at Fox 10 Phoenix. During the meeting, Lake said her decision to leave was hard, but she felt it was necessary because the media presents a false narrative about COVID-19 and vaccines.

Over 700,000 people in the U.S. have died from COVID-19, and the approved vaccines for the virus have proven to be largely effective at both limiting the spread and instances of serious cases of the disease.

Lake's sentiments toward mainstream media and the vaccine mimic those of former President Donald Trump, who notoriously said mainstream media was "fake news" and advocated for vaccine choice.

Lake was recently endorsed by former President Trump, whom she explained, she had a great affinity for. 

"I was really honored by that because I admire President Trump greatly," Lake said. "He gave up so much."

A Trump endorsement is valuable in 2021, with many Republican voters looking at his top picks for candidates.

In August, Lake and dozens of protesters gathered in front of Hayden Library to call ASU's mask policy unlawful. Lake told students on social media not to comply with the rule and criticized ASU President Michael Crow at the protest.

READ MORE: 'Tell Michael Crow to shove it': Students, parents protest new mask requirement

One student at the meeting asked Lake about her stance on campus carry laws, a policy she said she would be willing to pass "immediately." Campus carry laws refer to the possession of firearms on college or university campuses. At ASU, firearms are prohibited.

Lake also talked about Texas' recent abortion bill, a law banning abortions after six weeks of pregnancy, and said the Arizona Legislature should pass a "carbon copy" as soon as possible. Lake explained she is "unapologetically pro-life."

READ MORE: ASU student organizations react to Texas abortion law

"So many young people have been brainwashed by social media, by college, by culture to think that taking a young life, a baby's life, is health care," Lake said.

On the topic of the Southern border, Lake said Arizona needs to have a tighter, more secure U.S.-Mexico border. She said she would be willing to reallocate funds toward border security and law enforcement in an effort to regulate immigration.

"As governor, I would really encourage all of our law enforcement to do zero-tolerance," Lake said. "Hit them with every single misdemeanor or charge you can hit them with."

Jessica Embree, a junior studying civic and economic thought and leadership, said Lake represented all of the most important aspects she looks for in a governor.

"I think she'll do great things for Arizona," Embree said. "She's all about personal freedoms, which is huge to me."

Reach the reporter at trricha2@asu.edu and follow @therrealtristan on Twitter.

×