COVID-19 cases among ASU students increase just before winter break

Cases among students increased by 15 after the long weekend, while cases among staff decreased by 17

20210202 COVID Vaccine 0009.jpg

Point of Distribution Manager Amanda Rice explains the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine on Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2021. ASU was authorized to administer 1,000 vaccines beginning Jan. 22. 

In the most recent University update, 15 more known positive cases of COVID-19 were reported at ASU among the student body, making for a total of 207 cases.

Active cases throughout the ASU community as a whole have decreased from 242 to 240.

Of the students who tested positive for COVID-19, 196 are living off-campus in the metropolitan Phoenix area. There are nine students in isolation on the Tempe campus, and two students in isolation across the Downtown Phoenix, West and Polytechnic campuses.

ASU reported 33 positive cases among faculty and staff, a decrease of 17 from last week's 50 cases recorded.

ASU has reported a cumulative total of 1,901 positive cases among students, faculty and staff since Aug. 1. The University has collected more than 78,842 COVID-19 tests since Aug. 2 and has a positivity rate of about 2.4%.

The University collected a total of 1,142 random tests from students and employees from Nov. 22-28. Of the collected samples, 30 came back positive.

The Arizona Department of Health Services reported 1,961 new positive cases and one new death across the state Monday.

Reach the reporter at rkalale@asu.edu and follow @pokefanrithwik on Twitter.

×