ASU women's basketball defeats Marist in last game before Cancun Challenge

The Sun Devils defeated the Red Foxes 82-53 at home before they head off to Puerto Aventuras, Mexico, on Thanksgiving

211112 ASUvsMinnesota006.jpg

ASU senior guard Gabriela Bosquez (3) looks for an open teammate during a game against the University of Minnesota at Desert Financial Arena on Friday, Nov. 12, 2021. ASU lost 66-59.

ASU women's basketball defeated Marist College 82-53 on Sunday afternoon in its final matchup before the Cancun Challenge. 

ASU shot 46.9% from the field making 30 shots on 64 attempts. The Sun Devils also shot 41.9% from the 3-point line.

Senior guard Jade Loville had an outstanding showing for the Sun Devils, scoring five out of six 3-pointers and securing 21 points on the night, the most out of any Sun Devil. 

Graduate student forward Mael Gilles also had a dominant performance for the Sun Devils, scoring 16 points against the Red Foxes while shooting five for 10 from the field. She also accumulated eight rebounds and four steals. 

The Sun Devils got out to an early 22-11 lead after the first quarter. Marist got back within single digits in the next quarter after three consecutive shots were scored by sophomore forward Zaria Shazer and junior forward Samantha Bailey, making the score 25-17 with 7:37 left in the second quarter. 

ASU quickly responded though and ended the first half with a 21-point lead following a layup by sophomore guard Jaddan Simmons with six seconds left in the second quarter.

The Red Foxes shot 38.5% from the 3-point line on 13 shots while also maintaining a 47.5% from the field. Despite the solid shooting percentages, Marist had 24 fewer field goal attempts than ASU.

After a 3-point shot by sophomore forward Katelyn Levings, ASU led 69-42 going into the end of the third quarter. 

In the final quarter, the Sun Devils maintained their control of the game, leading by as much as 35 points. ASU finished the game with a 29 point lead to win.

ASU women's basketball will compete next at the Cancun Challenge against the University of Houston, Baylor University and Fordham University from Thursday to Saturday in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico. 

Reach the reporter at lhertz@asu.edu and follow @laurenrachell_ on Twitter.

×