ASU women's basketball drops road opener to BYU

The Sun Devils lost to the Cougars 55-44 in their first road test of the season

211112 ASUvsMinnesota009.jpg

ASU sophomore guard Jaddan Simmons (2) runs up the court while being guarded during a game against the University of Minnesota at Desert Financial Arena on Friday, Nov. 12, 2021. ASU lost 66-59.

ASU women's basketball lost to BYU 55-44 in its first road game of the season Wednesday afternoon, dropping to 1-2 on the season.

The Sun Devils struggled to hit 3-pointers, making only 12.5% of their attempts. After ASU hit each of its four free-throw attempts in the first half, it only made one of eight in the second half.

Senior guard Taya Hanson, sophomore guard Jaddan Simmons and graduate student forward Mael Gilles tied for the Sun Devils' scoring lead with eight points each. Sophomore forward Maggie Besselink led the Sun Devils with seven rebounds. 

ASU was outscored by at least four points in every quarter except the fourth, where it outscored BYU 16-10. However, the late comeback was not enough to put the Sun Devils ahead and give them the win. 

ASU chipped away at the deficit in the fourth quarter, and a layup by senior guard Jade Loville put the Sun Devils behind by only eight points with just over five minutes left in the game. A shot from senior guard Gabriela Bosquez brought the Sun Devils within seven with three minutes left, but Bosquez's points would be the last points the team scored. 

The Sun Devils were without senior guard Ayzhiana Basallo on Wednesday against BYU. Basallo aided ASU's offense in its game against the University of Northern Colorado by scoring 10 points. The Sun Devils have also been missing senior forward Jayde Van Hyfte and junior transfer guard Isadora Sousa, both of whom have not played yet this season. 

ASU will look to bounce back and even out its record when it hosts Marist College at Desert Financial Arena on Nov. 21 at 1 p.m. MST. 

Reach the reporter at kfield4@asu.edu and follow @kathrynfield_ on Twitter.

Kathryn FieldSports Editor

Kathryn Field is a sports editor at The State Press. Kathryn has previously worked as a full time reporter at The State Press, covering women’s basketball and lacrosse.

×