No. 7 ASU wrestling defeats No. 17 Oklahoma in convincing fashion

In its first home dual meet, the Sun Devils recorded 21 takedowns to help the team move to 1-0 on the season

200117 wrestling vs oregon

ASU then-senior Kordell Norfleet wrestles an Oregon State team member on Friday, Jan. 17, 2020, at Desert Financial Arena. 

No. 7 ASU wrestling defeated No. 17 University of Oklahoma 22-12 in its first home meet of the season in Tempe on Friday night. 

The Sun Devils competed in front of a crowd of 2,228 after the 2020-21 season saw four home meets canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Led by the teams' All-Americans, ASU recorded 21 takedowns and defeated four top-25 wrestlers at the dual. 

Redshirt junior Brandon Courtney opened the match against Oklahoma redshirt senior Joey Prata. Courtney won the bout 8-3 by decision, pushing the Sun Devils to an early 3-0 lead. 

Freshman Jesse Vasquez and redshirt junior Michael Mcgee each dominated their matchups, winning by majority decision 13-5 and 12-3, respectively. Vasquez’s two-point takedown in the final seconds of the third period helped fire up the crowd and push the Sun Devils to an 11-0 lead.

Redshirt freshman transfer Kyle Parco had a good showcase winning by decision 7-2 over senior Mitch Moore in what was an entertaining matchup featuring big slams. 

Perhaps the most anticipated bout of the night featured ASU's No. 4 Jacori Teemer versus No. 18 Justin Thomas. Teemer, a redshirt sophomore had never defeated graduate student Thomas, losing his previous two matchups, but defeated Thomas 11-5 by decision, sparking fireworks between the two competitors and giving the Sun Devils a 16-0 lead at halftime. 

In the most competitive bout of the night, ASU redshirt senior Anthony Valencia defeated junior Troy Mantanona 8-6 in a match that was tightly contested until the final buzzer. Valencia scored one point for OU for stalling towards the end of the third period securing his victory.

Redshirt freshman Zane Coleman struggled Friday night. Coleman lost to redshirt senior Anthony Mantanona 14-1. Mantanona recorded a four-point fall during the first period, taking an 8-1 lead and never looking back. This was Oklahoma’s first victory of the night.

Redshirt freshman Josh Nummer also struggled, losing to junior Darrien Roberts by fall in the second period.

Redshirt junior Kordell Norfleet was the only returning All-American to lose his matchup Friday night. The match was tied 2-2 after the first period. However, in the closing minute of the third period, redshirt senior Jake Woodley recorded a two-point takedown that helped edge him over Norfleet 5-3, bringing the score to 19-12.

OU mounted a furious comeback during the final 5 matches of the duel. However, in the final dual of the night redshirt freshman Cohlton Schultz was able to defeat redshirt sophomore Josh Heindselman 4-1 in what was a tense matchup from start to finish. 

The Sun Devils will travel next to Laramie, Wyoming to compete in the Cowboy Open on Nov. 28. 

Reach the reporter at agupt208@asu.edu.

Aayush Gupta

sports reporter

×