COVID-19 cases at ASU decline after reaching record highs

Positive cases in the ASU community decreased by 455 and the University continues to require daily health checks among on-campus students and staff

220124 COVID Stock-1.jpg

A mask from an ASU Community of Care kit sits on top of Devil's drop-off saliva testing packets.

In a University update Monday afternoon, 1,890 known positive cases of COVID-19 were reported within the ASU community, a decrease of 455 from last week. The decline marks progress after a record high last week of 2,345 known positive cases among students, faculty and staff.

Student-specific cases decreased by 391 from last week's report, declining to 1,698 total positive cases. Faculty and staff cases declined to 192, a decrease of 64 from last week's report.

Of the 1,698 reported student COVID-19 cases, 60 are in isolation on the Tempe campus, and 14 are in isolation across the Downtown Phoenix, West and Polytechnic campuses.

Off-campus student cases were not directly included in the update as previously reported, but 1,624 of the student cases are off-campus.

According to the update, 12,549 tests were "administered within the ASU Community this week." Last week, the University reported 19,689 tests.

The University reinstated its daily health check requirements last week in an effort to assess the symptoms of students and faculty members on campus. If students fail to report their status, they risk losing access to their ASU systems and must reset their password. Data on daily health checks was still omitted from Monday's report.

On Monday, the Arizona Department of Health Services reported 14,750 new COVID-19 cases across Arizona and one COVID-19-related death.

Reach the reporter at sabuggle@asu.edu and follow @sadie_buggle on Twitter. 

Sadie BuggleOpinion Editor

Sadie Buggle is the Editor of the State Press Opinion Desk. This is her third semester working for the State Press after two semesters reporting for the Community and Culture Desk.

×