ASU hockey completes weekend sweep against RIT on the road

The Sun Devils offense came alive against the Tigers over the weekend, winning 2-1 and 5-1

11.19.20_MSU HOCKEY VS ASU_0195[2].JPG

ASU then-freshman goaltender Cole Brady (#34) and then-sophomore Tanner Hickey (8) play the puck versus Michigan State in East Lansing, Michigan at Munn Ice Arena on Thursday, Nov. 19, 2020.

RIT Jan. 14-15 (W 2-1, W 5-1)

The ASU men’s hockey team has secured three straight road wins after the team swept  RIT, winning 2-1 on Friday and 5-1 on Saturday. 

The Sun Devils dominated the 2nd period in both contests, scoring six of their seven goals to move to 6-0 all time against the Tigers.

ASU scored the fastest back-to-back goals in program history during Friday’s contest after graduate student forward Johnny Walker and sophomore forward Ryan O'Reilly scored ten seconds apart to put the Sun Devils up 2-0, 1:29 into the 2nd period. RIT’s freshman forward Carter Wilkie scored its only goal of the game at 17:15 in the 2nd.

Game two between the teams was less of a contest. Sophomore forward Matthew Kopperud put ASU up early on the power play after RIT senior defenseman Dan Willett was called for tripping in the first period. 

The Sun Devils secured the win after the team went up 5-0 at 11:22 in the 2nd period courtesy of goals from forwards Josh Doan, Colin Theisen, Jack Jensen and Benji Eckerle. Junior goalie Ben Kraws tallied 43 saves this weekend while allowing only one goal while he was on the ice. 

ASU will look to continue its hot streak as they host Lindenwood University at home next Friday and Saturday.

Written by Walker Smith, Jan. 15, 7:59 p.m.

Northeastern — Jan. 11 (W 6-2)

For the first time in program history, ASU men's hockey defeated No. 11 Northeastern Huskies in a dominant 6-2 fashion.

This was only Northeastern's second loss at home all season and the Sun Devils’ third road win of the year. 

In his first year with ASU, graduate transfer Colin Theisen continued his hot season, adding two  goals to bring his team-leading total to 15.  ASU also got contributions from sophomore forward Matthew Kopperud who had one goal and two assists on the night. 

Freshman forwards Josh Doan, Jack Jensen and redshirt senior forward Christopher Grando also added a goal to contribute to the team's offensive outburst. 

Offensively, the Sun Devils dominated right from the jump and controlled the puck all game long as they outshot the Huskies 46-29, constantly putting pressure on the Huskies. 

ASU also had an impactful game on the defensive side of the puck holding Northeastern to only two goals, limiting their offensive game plan right from the start.

Junior goalie Ben Kraws had a very impactful game in front of the net, saving 27 shots on 29 attempts helping the Sun Devils maintain their large lead on the road.

With this victory, ASU snapped its two-game losing streak and put an end to Northeastern's six-game winning streak. The Sun Devils improve to 13-12 and .520 on the season as they head to Rochester, New York to take on RIT for a quick two-game weekend series starting this Friday. 

Written by Nikash Nath, Jan. 11, 9:04 p.m.

Reach the reporters at nnath2@asu.edu and whsmith8@asu.edu and follow @NathNikash and @WalkerrTR on Twitter.

×

This website uses cookies to make your expierence better and easier. By using this website you consent to our use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie Policy.