Veteran leadership within ASU beach volleyball looks to build foundation for young core

With only two seniors and one graduate student, the Sand Devils are a young team looking up to their upperclassmen for guidance and leadership

210430pac12BVB5325.jpg

Graduate student Cierra Flood during round two of the PAC-12 beach volleyball tournament at Mapes Beach in Los Angeles on Friday, April 30, 2021.

ASU beach volleyball seniors Lauren Weintraub and Maddy Salazar, along with graduate student Cierra Flood, will lead the Sun Devils into the 2022 season. With more than half of their team consisting of underclassmen, younger players will look up to the beach volleyball veterans for leadership and guidance.

It can be confusing to know how to approach the final season for many seniors in athletics. Finding the right balance between cherishing moments and setting an example for hard work can be difficult, but it's not for Salazar. 

"I don't approach the season too differently because I give my all every season. However, this year I feel like I'm focusing on having more fun and just cherishing moments with my teammates a little bit more," Salazar said. 

But Salazar's teammate, Flood, said this isn't her first go at trying to figure out how to approach her final season. She's actually been here before. As a graduate student, Flood thought the 2021 season would be her last, but with one last year of eligibility, she is hoping to make the most of it this time around.

"I went in thinking let's have fun because I don't have a lot of matches left. I wanted to appreciate every match even if it didn't go my way, so I think I'm going to do that again this year because there was a lot less pressure on me and a lot more fun," Flood said. 

This year, ASU's team will feature three captains, Flood, Weintraub and junior Lexi Sweeney.

Flood said she understands that all eyes are on her - and not just because she's a captain. Flood has spent the most time on the team in comparison to the rest of her peers. Flood said she hopes to lead by example, remembering what it was like for her younger self to look up to her older teammates.

"We lead more by example just because people are looking to us," Flood said. "I remember when I was a freshman I would look to the seniors."

For Weintraub, being captain has been on her mind since her sophomore year. She said leadership is something she takes very seriously, and has been working toward that goal by always participating in the optional offseason activities and training.

"I don't want to say that I was given (a leadership position) as a senior, I feel like I've worked hard for it," Weintraub said. 

Weintraub, Flood and Salazar, along with Sweeney, intend to lead the team by providing support and setting a standard for a strong work ethic going into the season. 

"If you can lead people and work really hard with no excuses, then everyone will do the same," Weintraub said. "I want to lead the hardest working team in the nation. It would be really cool to know that we work that hard and I'm a part of the reason for that."

The Sand Devils will open its season at the Canyon Classic against Boise State University on Feb. 25 at 1:30 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at ahoppes1@asu.edu and follow @aviannahoppes on Twitter.

×