After a scrimmage this week, ASU beach volleyball preps for first tournament

The Sun Devils will take on Boise State University and No. 9 GCU at the Canyon Classic this weekend

IMG_0477.jpg

ASU freshman Rylie Kael (2) jumps to hit the ball over the net at the Sun Devil Beach Volleyball Facility on Monday, Feb. 21, 2022.

The ASU beach volleyball team has officially kicked off its season with a Maroon and Gold scrimmage on Monday. The preseason showing was held at the brand new beach volleyball facility on campus, with maroon beating gold 4-1. ASU used the Maroon and Gold scrimmage to help prepare for the first tournament this weekend. 

This weekend, ASU will take on No. 9 GCU and Boise State University at the Canyon Classic tournament. The tournament, the first of the season, will be hosted by GCU in Phoenix. ASU will head into the tournament feeling confident after competing in the scrimmage and practicing in tougher sand. 

"We're ready. I think having our deep sand and being able to adjust to it for the time that we've already been here will be a huge help anywhere," said senior Lauren Weintraub." Our sand is deeper than a lot of other places so I think we'll already have an upper hand."

First up on the schedule is Boise State, followed by GCU on Friday, Feb. 25. Although the team is paying close attention to the Broncos, their focus is on their local rival, the Antelopes. 

"We definitely have good competition. It's really fun playing other teams that are in state because we see each other a lot," said graduate student Cierra Flood

A win over both these teams this weekend could mean a top-25 ranking for ASU. The Sun Devils are coming into the 2022 season barely missing out on the top-20, however still receiving votes in a coaches poll. GCU will be one of the toughest teams to play this season as they are currently ranked at No. 9 in the preseason poll. 

"We are excited to play GCU, they're good competition and they have a lot of depth to their team," said senior Maddy Salazar. "We've gotten really strong as a team too and I think it would be fun to challenge ourselves."

In addition to the matches against GCU and Boise State, the team will also compete in a pairs tournament on Saturday. 

Sophomore duo Taryn Ames and Kate Fitzgerald were the only pair during the scrimmage to play two matches, winning the first in three sets against sophomore Cambria Hall and Salazar and the second in straight sets against sophomore Lila Bordis and junior Sarah Waters. The duo's teammates will be cheering them on, hoping for the pair to come through with another win. 

"I forget how much I like watching my teammates play, especially when I'm waiting to play," Salazar said. 

ASU will take on Boise State at 1:30 p.m. MST on Friday, before taking on No. 9 GCU at 3:30 p.m. MST. 

Reach the reporter at ahoppes1@asu.edu and follow @aviannahoppes on Twitter.

×