Olympic sports roundup: ASU swim and dive has historic showing

This week, ASU swim and dive set multiple program and NCAA records, while lacrosse has an up and down end to its California trip

ASU Swim and Dive vs Cal-4.jpg

ASU then-freshman Grant House competes in the men's 200 freestyle against Cal on Friday, Jan. 25, 2019 at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Center in Tempe.

Swim and dive

The ASU men's swim and dive team had a successful end to its 2022 campaign in the NCAA championships with several top individual finishes. 

On day one, redshirt senior Grant House, redshirt sophomore Jack Dolan, redshirt sophomore John Heaphy, redshirt junior Cody Bybee, freshman Patrick Sammon, freshman Léon Marchand and redshirt sophomore Julian Hill all finished in the top eight in their respective relays earning them CSCAA All-American status for the day. 

Dolan, Heaphy, Bybee and House went a collective 1:22.25 on the 200 medley relay which beat the program’s best time of 1:22.75. The Sun Devils finished in 5th place after day one only trailing behind Texas, Florida, Cal and NC State.  

On day two, the standout freshman Marchand became the fastest 200 IMer in NCAA history winning the event with a time of 1:37.69. With this performance, Marchand became the first NCAA champion for the Sun Devils since 2000. 

Marchand was not the only one breaking records as Dolan, House and Bybee's 1:14.85 mark on the 200 free-relay was the best in program history. After the day concluded, the Sun Devils remained in 5th place overall. 

On the final day, Marchand finished second in the 400 IM with a mark of 3:34.08 which broke the school's and his own personal record of 3:34.45.

House also finished in second place but it was in the 200 free with a mark of 1:30.68 as he finished just a half-second behind Texas' Drew Kibler. The Sun Devils would drop to 6th place overall after day three. 

Marchand topped off his incredible run in the NCAA tournament on day four winning the 200-breast with a mark of 1:48.20 which is now a new ASU record. 

The Sun Devils finished the NCAA championships in 6th place clinching its best finish since 1982.

Lacrosse

ASU women's lacrosse finished its California road trip with a win at Cal and a loss at USC.

The Sun Devils were able to bounce back against Cal with a 21-18 win after losing to Stanford. 

Graduate attacker Carley Adams led the Sun Devils in scoring with five goals. Graduate midfielder Taylor Pinzone followed close behind with four goals. Graduate attackers Emily Glagolev, Emily Munro and sophomore Mina Scott each added three. Graduate midfielder Maria Villanti added two and senior midfielder Kaylon Buckner added one. 

Freshman goalkeeper Katie Vahle started in the net once again, allowing 11 goals and making two saves. Sophomore goalkeeper Flynn Murphy subbed in at halftime, allowing seven goals and making five saves to give the Sun Devils the win. 

The Sun Devils closed out their road trip with a 17-10 loss to the USC Trojans. 

Pinzone, Munro and Adams led the Sun Devils in scoring with two goals apiece. Buckner, Glagolev, Scott and graduate midfielder Maddy Hunter each added one goal.

Vahle played all 60 minutes, allowing 17 goals and making eight saves in her eighth straight start for the Sun Devils. 

The Sun Devils led the Trojans 19-12 in draw controls but were not able to pull out the win. 

ASU returned to Tempe on Sunday at 11 a.m. MST to take on Florida, losing 21-10.

Beach volleyball

The Sand Devils hosted their second and final home meet on Thursday in their new facility. The team went 0-2 on the day, getting swept 5-0 by No. 7 GCU and No. 8 Stanford. 

In the match against GCU, the pair of sophomore Lila Bordis and junior Sarah Waters as well as senior Maddy Salazar and freshman Kylie Wickley were the only pairs to take the Lopes to three sets. 

The same pair of Bordis and Waters were close to grabbing a win against Stanford but fell in three sets in that match as well. 

ASU went into the Pac-12 south tournament 10-8 and will finish the tournament Sunday evening.

Men's golf

ASU men's golf participated in the 32nd annual Duck Invitational hosted by the University of Oregon from Mar. 21-22. The Sun Devils finished tied for third, going 17 over par.

Freshman Josele Ballester earned himself a fifth-place finish with a score of one-under-par in his first collegiate tournament. Ballester was the highest placing Sun Devil.

Freshman Preston Summerhays was able to come away in a tie for 15th place, while Senior Cameron Sisk finished tied for 23rd.

The men’s golf team is already in Palm City, Florida to play in their next tournament, the Valspar Open, from March 28-29.

Track and field

The ASU track and field team hosted its second consecutive home meet from March 25-26. The ASU Invitational saw all four major Arizona collegiate track and field teams come together as well as four other schools.

The Sun Devils picked where they left off last weekend and won seven events this weekend with many athletes registering personal bests and nation-leading marks.

Freshman thrower Ralford Mullings made a big showing after his second discus-throwing event as a Sun Devil, earning the collegiate-best throw of 63.50-meters. His throw was over three feet farther than the previous mark.

Graduate Student hammer thrower Beatrice Llano again came away with the gold in her event with a throw of 67.50-meters, just shy of a personal best throw. Llano currently holds the fifth-farthest throw for women in the NCAA. 

Sophomore sprinters Justin Robinson and Jamar Marshall Jr. both won golds in their 400 meter and 110-meter hurdle races, respectively. Marshall is tied for the NCAA’s seventh-fastest time for the 110h race, while Robinson’s time of 45.88 seconds is the second-best in the country for the 400m.

Junior distance runners Lena Lebrun and Vincent Mauri both earned golds in their 1500 meter races. Both runners were able to secure season-best finishes, with Lebrun erasing four seconds off of her previous best. Mauri’s time of 3:43.67 is good for 20th in the nation.

The track and field team will be sending their long-distance runners next weekend from April 1-2 to the Stanford Invitational.

Reach the reporters at, jspange1@asu.edu, rmastey@asu.edu, ahoppes1@asu.edu, and kfield4@asu.edu and follow @jspangenthal94, @MasteyRemy, @aviannahoppes and @Kathrynfield_ on Twitter.

Justin SpangenthalSports Reporter

Justin Spangenthal is a reporter for The State Press, currently covering Men's Golf and Track and Field. Justin transferred to ASU last January and is planning to graduate Fall '23. He is passionate about journalism and hopes to one day launch his own media outlet.

Kathryn FieldSports Editor

Kathryn Field is a sports editor at The State Press. Kathryn has previously worked as a full time reporter at The State Press, covering women’s basketball and lacrosse.

×