Positive COVID-19 cases among ASU students and staff decline

The University reported a total of 22 positive COVID-19 cases Monday, a decrease of 10 cases from last week

20210518-19 Vaccine Sites 0012.jpg

A vial of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine is shown in the Desert Financial Arena vaccine site in Tempe on Wednesday, May 19, 2021. 

ASU reported 22 positive COVID-19 cases within its community in an update released Monday. Positive cases decreased by 10 from last week's report of 32 cases.

There are 17 known COVID-19 positive cases among the student body, a decline of five from last week's report of 22 cases. ASU reported five positive cases among faculty and staff, a decrease of five from last week's report.

Among the 17 reported student COVID-19 cases, one known case resides on the Tempe campus, while the other 16 reside in off-campus housing.

ASU administered 1,596 tests in the past week, an increase of 232 since last week's report of 1,364.

Last Wednesday, the Arizona Department of Health Services reported 2,777 new COVID-19 cases and 142 new deaths across the state.

ASU will now recommend but not require masks on intercampus shuttles, according to University spokesperson Chris Fiscus. The University previously required masks on intercampus shuttles since early March.

The Biden administration's mask mandate on public transport, including buses, airplanes and more, was ruled unlawful by a federal judge Monday.

Editor's Note: This story was updated on April 19, 2022, at 9:20 p.m. to include information about updated mask requirements on ASU shuttles. 

Reach the reporter at sabuggle@asu.edu and follow @sadie_buggle on Twitter. 

Sadie BuggleOpinion Editor

Sadie Buggle is the Editor of the State Press Opinion Desk. This is her third semester working for the State Press after two semesters reporting for the Community and Culture Desk.

×