Positive COVID-19 cases rise among students, staff

Entering the last week of classes of the spring semester, ASU reported an increase of 40 positive cases since last week

20210202 COVID Vaccine 0005.jpg

A volunteer administers the COVID-19 vaccine at the Sun Devil Fitness Complex in Tempe on Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2021.

There are 62 known positive cases within the ASU community, according to the weekly COVID-19 update released Monday. 

This is an increase of 40 from last week's report of 22 cases, a 172% increase within a week. Still, it's fewer reported cases compared to this time last year, which totaled 98 known positives on April 26, 2021.

Among the student body, there are 50 known positive cases, an increase of 33 from the previous week's report of 17. There are 12 known positive cases among faculty and staff, an increase of seven from last week's five.

Of the 50 reported COVID-19 cases in the student body, one known case is located at the Tempe campus while three cases have been reported on ASU's other campuses: Downtown Phoenix, West or Polytechnic. The other 46 cases are among students who reside off campus.

ASU administered 1,136 tests this week, a decrease of 460 since last week's report of 1,596.

On April 20, the Arizona Department of Health Services reported 2,377 new COVID-19 cases and 29 new deaths since the previous week.

Reach the reporter at caera@asu.edu and follow @CaeraLearmonth on Twitter.

Caera Learmonth

Caera Learmonth is a full-time reporter for the Community and Culture desk. She was previously the Executive Editor of her high school newspaper and has taken journalism programs at the School of the New York Times and University of Southern California. 

×