ASU women's tennis sweeps weekend, men's tennis bounces back

Women's tennis took down Colorado 4-0 and men's tennis swept two games against UC San Diego after losing to No. 14 Stanford

WK2_4334.JPG

ASU women's tennis senior Ilze Hattingh hits the ball across the court during a game against GCU at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe on Monday, Jan. 18, 2021. ASU beat GCU 7-0.

This past week, ASU women's tennis continued its longest winning streak of the season with two more wins, and the men's team won two matches against UC San Diego after losing against Stanford.

Women's

No. 20 ASU women’s tennis (13-6) stretched its winning streak to five after sweeping Colorado on Friday and winning 4-3 against Utah Sunday.

In ASU's match against Colorado, senior Sedona Gallagher and sophomore Giulia Morlet cruised through their doubles match for a 6-1 win, and senior Cali Jankowski and sophomore Marianna Argyrokastriti clinched the doubles point after a 6-4 victory. 

ASU finished off the Buffaloes in singles after three Sun Devils won their singles matches in just two sets: Gallagher (6-1, 6-2), Jankowski (6-4, 6-4) and Argyrokastriti (6-3, 6-0).

On Sunday, the Sun Devils continued their strong doubles play with two more wins. Freshman Patricija Spaka and senior Domenika Turkovic won their match 6-1, and Morlet and Gallagher won their match by the same score.

ASU captured two quick points in singles play with wins from Gallagher and Argyrokastriti, but Utah secured a point after graduate student Linda Huang defeated Morlet 6-4, 7-5. The Sun Devils secured the win after Spaka won her match 7-6, 6-0. Turkovic and Jankowski subsequently dropped each of their singles matches in three sets.

Men's

The ASU men's tennis team had a topsy-turvy week starting with a 4-1 loss to Stanford on April 3 followed by two wins on the same day against the UC San Diego Tritons on Wednesday. 

The only highlight from the Stanford game was freshman Murphy Cassone, who continued his extraordinary first-year campaign with a win over No. 2 Arthur Fery 6-0, 3-6, 6-1. 

Cassone is the highest-ranked freshman at No. 17.

The Sun Devils bounced back a few days later in La Jolla where they visited the Tritons for a doubleheader. 

The first game was all ASU, which dominated the doubles to kick things off with wins by Cassone and junior Jacob Bullard, and co-captains sophomore Max McKennon and senior Fabien Salle won in their respective matches.

The singles kept the same trends. Cassone defeated Triton Daniel Traxler in straight sets (6-2, 6-0) followed by a Bullard straight-set win over Zach Ermert (6-1, 6-1). 

Sophomore Spencer Brachman then proceeded to finish the action with another straight-set win over Sahm Irvine (6-1, 6-0) to clinch the ASU win. 

The Sun Devils kept the pressure on in the second match a few hours later, crushing the doubles again and taking charge in the singles, winning 5-0.

ASU hopes to keep its momentum going when the team takes on the University of Washington at 3 p.m. Friday in Seattle.

Reach the reporters at vdeange1@asu.edu and dstipano@asu.edu and follow @vdeangelis2024 and @dstipanovichh on Twitter.

Vinny DeangelisSports Reporter

Vincent Deangelis is a full-time reporter for the sports department at The State Press. He has previously worked for Arizona PBS and AZPreps365.com. 

×