ASU hockey drops both games of opening series against No. 5 Minnesota Duluth

The Sun Devils now look toward Bemidji State following tough weekend against nation's fifth best team

69a36b17-fac6-47c4-b56a-5c487e2cd797.sized-1000x1000.png

ASU then-junior defenseman Jack Judson (22) passes the puck to then-redshirt senior forward Chris Grando (13) at Oceanside Arena in Tempe on Saturday, Oct. 2, 2021.

ASU hockey wrapped up its season-opening series this weekend against a tough University of Minnesota Duluth squad, who came in ranked fifth in the country. The Bulldogs took both games from the Sun Devils, winning game one 3-2 in overtime and game two 4-1. 

Game one saw the Sun Devils get off to a flying start. Finding itself on the power play early, sophomore forward Jack Jensen buried the Sun Devil power play's first goal of the season when the puck fell to his feet in the crease following a one-timer in front of the net. 

After the Bulldogs found the equalizer in the second, the score remained tied heading into the final period. Just one minute into the third, ASU's newest member of the top line found the Sun Devil’s second goal when junior forward Lukas Sillinger found just enough room in the slot to fire home his first of the season. 

Unfortunately for ASU, UMD would tie it up shortly after Sillinger's go-ahead goal and, in overtime, would win.

On Sunday, things didn't go as well for ASU. 

Graduate forward and alternate captain Demetrios Koumontzis netted a lovely goal for the Sun Devils, wristing an awkward shot while falling to give ASU the early lead. However, things would fall apart from here for the Sun Devils, surrendering four unanswered goals to UMD. 

Coach Greg Powers won't have to wait long to get his boys back on the ice, however, with a two-game series at Bemidji State starting this Friday, that one is set to drop the puck at just after 5 p.m. MST. 

Edited by Walker Smith, Wyatt Myskow and Piper Hansen.

Reach the reporter at jeigo@asu.edu and follow @JosephEigo on Twitter.

×