Olympic sports roundup: Soccer breaks seven-game losing streak against UA with 3-2 win

Women's golf ends the fall season with a fourth place finish at Pac-12 Preview, volleyball extends losing streak to three games

221104 Intersquad Wrestling(RVA)-160.jpg

ASU redshirt sophomore Josh Nummer hitting a mat return at Desert Financial Arena on Friday, Nov. 4, 2022.

Swim

The swim and dive team traveled to Los Angeles over the weekend where the men competed against USC and the women had two meets against USC and UCLA. 

The No. 5 Sun Devil men came through with another win as they beat USC with a score of 185. The women, unfortunately, did not win against USC or UCLA but they pulled through in some individual wins at the meet. 

Sophomore Léon Marchand continued his winning streak as he won all of his individual events. In the men's 200 individual medley he had a time of 1:42.55. 

Graduate student Grant House now has five individual wins on the season after coming in first in the 100 freestyle over the weekend. The team won three of the four relays on Friday which is a season-best for the Sun Devils. 

Redshirt junior Jack Dolan kicked it off for the men's side as he won the 100 backstroke with a time of 47.65. Then redshirt junior Alex Colson took first in the 200 butterfly finishing with a 1:46.39. 

On the women's side, strong efforts by redshirt junior Lindsey Looney and sophomore Charli Brown were not enough to get a team win. Looney won the 200 butterfly with a time of 1:57.78 and Brown took the 200 individual medley. 

Freshman Ieva Maluku shined at the UCLA meet as she won all three of her events. Starting off with the 200 freestyle she finished with a 1:49.37, in the 500 freestyle she had a time of 4:54.35 and lastly, her time in the 200 individual medley was 2:03.19. 

For the dive team, freshman Amayah Wiley was a top finisher as she took fifth in both the 1-meter (206.03) and 3-meter (253.43). Junior Zachory Lundgren also got on the scoreboard taking fourth in the 1-meter (279.98) and 3-meter (298.05).

Up next the Sun Devils will go on the road again to the Wolfpack Invite from Nov. 17-19 in Greensboro, North Carolina. 

Wrestling

Sun Devil wrestling opened up its 2022-23 season with the Maroon and Gold intrasquad scrimmage in front of a passionate fanbase at Desert Financial Arena.

In an exciting and grueling matchup, redshirt junior Anthony Montalvo, redshirt freshman Max Wilner, and redshirt sophomore Julian Chlebove each won their opening matches 8-4, 3-2 and 3-1, respectively. 

Redshirt freshman Richard Figueroa, redshirt senior Michael McGee and sophomore Jesse Vasquez easily handled their matchups, blowing out their opponents 14-1, 16-1, and 14-4, respectively. 

After failing to score in the first period, redshirt sophomore Kyle Parco defeated sophomore Mykey Ramos 2-1 in the night's lowest-scoring matchup.

Experience proved to be an advantage in redshirt junior Tony Negron's matchup, blowing out freshman Gavin Priest 12-0. Redshirt sophomore Josh Nummer and redshirt junior Jonathon Fagen also recorded blowout victories, winning their matchups 10-2 and 8-0 respectively

ASU will travel to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, to take on Rutgers and compete in the Journeymen/Defensive Soap Collegiate Classic on Nov. 12 - 14. The team will return to Tempe on Nov. 17 to take on No. 5 Missouri in a highly anticipated matchup to open Mullett Arena. 

Volleyball

The ASU Women’s Volleyball team had a tough schedule this week as they played some of the top teams in California: USC and UCLA. 

The Sun Devils started the first set against USC with an attack error from USC and a kill from junior middle blocker Claudia Stahlke. ASU kept the lead and at 10-8 broke away with kills from junior outside hitter Marta Levinska. The Sun Devils held onto the lead and won 25-20, ending with a kill from Levinska. 

ASU started the second set strong with the attack presence of Stahlke and Levinska and an ace from senior libero Annika Larson-Nummer. USC eventually caught up with the Sun Devils at 12-12, then took the lead and won 25-22.

ASU took an early lead in the third set but could not hold on. USC tied the set at 3-3 then took the lead. ASU lost the match 25-16.

The fourth set started off with ASU in the lead after kills from Isanovic and Cyr making the score 4-1. In typical USC fashion, the opposing team held ASU until 7-7. The set went back and forth until USC finished the game at 25-19. USC took the match with a score of 3-1.

The Sun Devils went into the next game at UCLA looking to end a two-game losing streak. ASU battled with UCLA for the first 10 points, but could not keep up defensively. UCLA won 25-20.

The second set was difficult for the Sun Devils. ASU started off strong with kills from Isanovic, Levinska, junior middle blocker Claire Jeter and junior outside hitter Roberta Rabelo. Similar to the last set, the Sun Devils could not keep up with the attack from the Bruins. ASU lost 25-15.

ASU started the third set strong with kills from Isanovic and Levinska. ASU held a 10-6 lead over UCLA, but the Bruins retaliated with blocks and aces to tie the set at 10-10. ASU went to match point with UCLA, but the Bruins took the set win with a score of 31-29 and a match score of 3-0.

ASU will play Washington State at home on Nov. 11 at 7 p.m. MST. 

Women's golf

The Sun Devils finished fourth at last week’s Pac-12 preview at Nanea Golf Club in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, with a strong showing from junior Ashley Menne (-6).

Menne, who finished tied for fourth place individually, shot a 66 in the tournament’s opening round and paced the Sun Devils throughout the Preview’s three days. Three birdies in the final round’s first six holes helped maintain her strong first two rounds and bring her near the top of the Preview’s leaderboard. 

At the end of the tournament’s first two rounds, sophomore Grace Summerhays led the Sun Devils with scores of 68 and 74, respectively. Summerhays, who finished the tournament +4, kept ASU in the hunt through the tournament’s opening two days in time for Menne, as well as sophomore Calynne Rosholt (-2), and freshmen Beth Coulter (-1) and Paula Schulz-Hanssen (-1) to bring the Sun Devils into fourth place on with strong rounds on the tournament’s final day.

The Sun Devils’ first-round performance was a school record and their final round was the best of any team in the tournament. ASU (-5) finished the Preview behind top-ranked Stanford (-18) and top 15 teams Oregon (-8) and UA (-7).

The Pac-12 Preview was ASU women’s golf’s final tournament of the fall season.

Sun Devil women’s golf will next be seen at the Match in the Desert in Gold Canyon, Arizona on Jan. 23. 

Soccer

Sun Devils snapped a seven-game losing streak to the UA Wildcats in a 3-2 comeback to finish the Pac-12 season. 

ASU started the game strong with a goal from sophomore forward Keri Matthews 23 minutes in. 

Despite the early lead the Wildcats did not shy away and were able to respond with a goal just before halftime and another one at the beginning of the second half to give them a 2-1 lead. 

Just six minutes later ASU was able to tie the game up with graduate student midfielder Eva van Deursen finding the back of the net in what could be her last game at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium. 

Finally, to seal the win, junior defender Lucy Johnson scored her first goal of the season at the perfect time catching the Arizona goalkeeper out of position and lofting a shot from the wing over her head to give ASU the 3-2 win. 

With this win, ASU will go to the big dance and travel to Portland to face off against the University of Portland on Nov. 12 at 7 p.m. MST. 

Edited by Kathryn Field, Wyatt Myskow and Grace Copperthite.

Reach the reporters at lboykins@asu.edu, agupt208@asu.edu, sstaple5@asu.edu, awakefi3@asu.edu and bsilvyn@asu.edu and follow them @BoykinsLauren, @AAYU5H16, @_alexwakefield and @BSilvyn on Twitter. 

Aayush Gupta

sports reporter

Bennett SilvynSports Reporter

Bennett Silvyn is a reporter for the sports desk at The State Press. He has previously worked for Walter Cronkite Sports Network and FC Tucson.

×