Olympic sports roundup: Men's golf ends the fall season in second place at the East Lake Cup

Hockey is nationally ranked for the first time this season after win over North Dakota while Vincent Mauri finished ninth at Pac-12 Cross Country Championship

volleyball.jpg

ASU then-junior outside hitter, Iman Isanovic (5), spikes the ball against University of Washington at Desert Financial Arena on Sunday, Oct. 10, 2021. ASU lost 3-2.

Hockey

Sun Devil hockey is on a three-game winning streak after defeating No. 6/7 North Dakota 3-2 in the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

The Sun Devils fell behind 2-0 early into the first period but rallied behind goals from junior forward Matthew Kopperud and junior forward Lukas Sillinger to tie the game heading into the final period. 

ASU shined on defense killing three of four penalties and blocking 22 shots, the most in a game this season. Senior forward Robert Mastrosimone netted the winning goal 24 seconds into the third period.

The Sun Devils tallied their highest-ranked win since 2019 and remain undefeated with a 3-0 record. The Sun Devils are nationally ranked at No. 20 for the first time this season. 

Cross country

Senior Vincent Mauri highlighted all Sun Devil runners at the Pac-12 Championships on Oct. 28 in Riverside, California. 

Mauri finished ninth out of 81 runners in the men's 8,000-meter race good for 22:59.0 and did most of the heavy lifting for the team. The next best ASU finish was freshman Trevor Querciagrossa who was 57th to cross the finish line. 

Senior Lena Lebrun was the top women's performer for ASU. The French native placed 47th of 105 runners with a 20:26.8 finish in the 6,000-meter. Unfortunately for the Sun Devils, the seven other runners who competed placed outside of the top 75.

The squad will prepare for the NCAA Cross Country Regionals in Tacoma, Washington, on Nov. 11.

Soccer

Following a split between Washington and Washington State, the Sun Devils look to continue to get better as conference play and the season slowly come to an end. Hosting the Oregon Ducks and desperately needing a win, the Sun Devils quickly took control of the game. 

It took the Sun Devils 48 seconds to get on the board as graduate student forward Nicole Douglas notched another goal on her record-breaking season. 

Douglas found the back of the net two more times in the first half with back-to-back goals and finished the half with a hat trick. Graduate student midfielder Eva van Deursen and Douglas each added a goal in the second half as the Sun Devils went on to win 5-1. 

Following the Sun Devils' dominant win against the Ducks, Oregon State looked to spoil the senior night, and the Beavers did just that. 

Douglas scored on a penalty kick 15 minutes into the first half and scored her fifth goal in two games. However, that was the only goal for the Sun Devils.

The Beavers responded 15 minutes later and did not slow down, scoring two goals in the second half to pull off a 3-1 win. 

ASU hosts UA in its final game of the regular season Friday at 7 p.m. MST.

Men's golf

ASU men's golf nearly finished fall play with an upset of Vanderbilt in match play at the East Lake Cup tournament in Atlanta, but fell short on the final stroke. 

With the tournament's final match tied 2-2 going into the final hole, Vanderbilt's senior William Moll hit a tournament-clinching birdie to give the Commodores the edge.

The Sun Devils began match play by avenging last year's East Lake Cup final loss to Pepperdine, thanks to individual victories from sophomores Preston Summerhays and Josele Ballester, as well as freshman Luke Potter, to advance to this year's tournament final.

After Vanderbilt took the first match, Potter won an up-and-down match over the Commodores' junior Cole Sherwood thanks to a 15-foot birdie on the last hole. Potter entered the sixth hole with a dominant four-stroke lead, but it took a final-hole birdie to clinch a match two victory and bring the final to a 1-1 tie.

Vanderbilt won round three to take a 2-1 match lead. Soon after, Summerhays gave the Sun Devils a chance at the Cup by upsetting the nation's top-ranked player and the tournament’s stroke play champion, Gordon Sargent, tying the final at 2-2. It was moments later that Moll's putt sank the Sun Devils and gave Vanderbilt the East Lake Cup title.

Sun Devil men's golf will resume their season in the winter, at the Southwestern Invitational in Westlake Village, California, beginning Jan. 30, 2023.

Volleyball

The Sun Devil volleyball squad welcomed Oregon and Oregon State to Tempe this past weekend, hosting the Beavers Friday and the now No. 16 Ducks Sunday. 

On Friday, the Sun Devils were down a set immediately, losing set one 25-20. The Sun Devils swept the next three comfortably, winning set two 25-20 and sets three and four 25-15. Junior outside hitter Marta Levinska led the way for ASU offensively, tallying 20 kills.

Sunday, the Sun Devils would not fare as well, dropping their match versus the Ducks in straight sets. Sets one and three finished similarly, with the Ducks winning set one 25-21 and set three 25-20. Set two, however, the Sun Devils pushed the Ducks to the brink, forcing Oregon to score the 26th point to win 26-24. Levinska led the way for ASU again, totaling 16 kills. 

The Sun Devils sit 11-13 on the season and 5-7 in the Pac-12. Up next for the Sun Devils is a trip to Los Angeles for a Friday matchup against UCLA and a Sunday matchup against USC.

Edited by Kathryn Field, Piper Hansen and Grace Copperthite.

Reach the reporters at alkalmba@asu.edu, agupt208@asu.edu, jeigo@asu.edu, awakefi3@asu.edu, and dstipano@asu.edu and follow them @adokalm32, awakefi3@asu.edu, @AAYU5H16, @dstipanovichh and @JosephEigo on Twitter. 

Aayush Gupta

sports reporter

Addison KalmbachSports Reporter

Addison Kalmbach is a reporter for The State Press Sports desk. He has previously worked for Detroit City FC and PHOENIX Magazine.

×