Guest column: Politicians should lead forward through humility

The best leaders are not the most brilliant people in the room, but the most resourceful ones

lead forward column
For someone to consider themselves a leader, they must also consider themselves a person of service.

The center of leading is service. For someone to consider themselves a leader, they must also consider themselves a person of service. 

To serve others, leaders must take ownership in understanding the external and intrinsic factors that shape their constituents’ lives. As elections draw near, running politicians should course with integrity and a solution-based platform. 

Many communities in Arizona are facing different challenges. Those challenges should be approached with unique intentionality instead of a cookie-cutter perspective that all problems are created equal.

Leaders must have a vision.

Politicians have a reputation. Politics have a reputation. Apart from that, reputation is the lack of vision. The leaders of this state must be able to lead past today's challenges and lean into tomorrow's possibilities. From sustainability efforts to creating equity in K-12 education, leaders are responsible for shaping and leveraging a better, brighter future for all its citizens.

Humble yourselves. 

Leaders are not the most brilliant people in the room but the most resourceful ones. Recruit and onboard diverse talent that can help cultivate meaningful changes in the communities you serve. Systems are not systems. They are made up of people. And those people make decisions that create long-lasting ripple effects in the ecosystem. Listen and learn from those around you more than your dictate and speak. 

Humility will lead you with humanity's best intentions. Lead forward.  

Edited by Sadie Buggle, Piper Hansen and Kristen Apolline Castillo.

Ebony Anderson is the assistant director of the cultural connections for ASU's Educational Outreach and Student Services and advisor for the Black African Coalition.

Editor's note: The opinions presented in this column are the author's and do not imply any endorsement from The State Press or its editors.

×