Volleyball

ASU volleyball finished its last road trip of the regular season with a loss to No. 8 Stanford and a win over Cal. 

The first set for the Sun Devils started strong, with ASU keeping up with Stanford throughout the majority of the set. Senior outside hitter Iman Isanovic, senior setter Shannon Shields and junior outside hitter Marta Levinska were keeping the attack strong with several kills from each player. A three-point streak from Stanford late in the set was too much for ASU and Stanford took a 25-22 win.

After losing the first set, ASU struggled to put points on the board. Early in the second set, Stanford earned a seven-point streak. The Sun Devils could not come back from this deficit and lost 25-11.

The beginning of the third set looked similar to the previous set, with Stanford taking an early lead. ASU began to build the attack with kills from Isanovic, Levinska, and junior outside hitter Roberta Rabelo. ASU took the lead and held on to win 25-22.

Stanford started quickly in the fourth set. ASU had attacks from Levinska, Isanovic and junior middle blocker Claire Jeter, but could not finish. In the end, ASU lost the set 25-14 and the match 3-1.

The Sun Devils played their last away game of the regular season against the Cal Bears on Sunday.

The first set was filled with attacks for the Sun Devils. ASU held the lead from the beginning of the set at 3-0 and continued to hold the distance. Rabelo, Isanovic and Levinska all kept the momentum throughout the set and ASU won 25-23.

The Bears came back into the second set with a higher intensity. ASU had kills from Jeter, Rabelo, Isanovic and several from Levinska but to no avail. ASU lost the set 25-20.

The third set was tight for both teams. ASU was losing 9-2 but eventually came back after five kills from Isanovic and six kills from Levinska. Although the attack was strong, ASU ended up losing 25-21.

The teams were back and forth in the fourth set until sophomore outside hitter Geli Cyr made three kills to take the lead over Cal. Jeter ended the set with a kill and ASU won 26-24. 

The Sun Devils got an early start for the fifth set with a 6-2 lead over the Bears. ASU continued that lead through Levinska, Isanovic and Cyr’s attacks. The Sun Devils dominated the final set. ASU won the set over Cal 15-5 and the match 3-2.

The Sun Devils return to Tempe to take on Utah on Nov. 23 at 2 p.m. MST.

Hockey

ASU hockey returned from Clarkson with heads low after it lost both games, falling short 2-1 on Friday and 5-3 on Saturday in Potsdam, New York.

The series opener on Friday was a tough, physical game. Neither team could put the other one away through two periods. The Golden Knights struck first in the second period to go up 1-0, but ASU answered shortly after, thanks to a goal from junior defenseman Tim Lovell with just over six minutes left.

The stalemate continued into the third period, as both squads traded hits but couldn't find a way past the netminder. Clarkson eventually got the last laugh. With 16 seconds left in the contest, the Golden Knights were able to score to break the Sun Devil's hearts, winning 2-1. 

Saturday's game saw more action than the first matchup. ASU started the game with a 1-0 lead courtesy of junior forward Dylan Jackson, who scored his second goal of the year. Clarkson stormed back in the 2nd frame, scoring two unanswered goals in the period to take a 2-1 lead.

The third period was highly contested towards the end. ASU was able to draw level with a goal from junior forward Lukas Sillinger three minutes into the final frame. Clarkson responded by shutting the door on the game, scoring 2 goals in the next three minutes to go up 4-2. ASU would net another goal in the period from sophomore forward Josh Doan, but it wasn't enough to come back and win.

ASU hockey's next contest is Friday at 7 p.m. MST when No. 2 Minnesota comes to Mullett Arena for a two-game series.

Cross Country

In the NCAA Championships on Saturday, senior runner Vincent Mauri notched 87th overall out of 252 in the men's 10,000-meter race with a 30:08.3 finish. 

After an 11th overall finish in the Regionals two weeks ago, Mauri became the first Sun Devil since 2014 to compete in the championship race. His historic season featured two first-place finishes in both regular-season races and he took home ninth in the Pac-12 Championships. 

Swim and dive

The Sun Devil swim and dive team traveled to Greensboro, North Carolina for the Wolfpack Invite, and both the men and women found the podium. It was a weekend of personal bests, breaking school records and history being made as the Sun Devils had great performances. 

The women placed third overall and the men took the victory. On the first day, junior Jack Dolan set a new team record in the 50 freestyle with a time of 18.92. Dolan now has the seven best 50 free times in ASU history.

Junior Lindsay Looney won the women's 500 freestyle with a personal best time of 4:40.71. Friday night ended with the men setting the fastest 400-individual medley relay in the country. Dolan, sophomore Leon Marchand, and graduate students Max McCusker and Grant House finished with a time of 3:02.85. 

On Saturday ASU pulled through, winning another set of five races and the men holding their first-place position. The women went into day two with a score of 359 landing them in third place. 

Marchand shined on day two as he set a new record in the 400 individual medley breaking his previous NCAA championship record. He finished with a time of 3:33.65 which was also the fastest in Sun Devil history. 

Also in the 400 individual medley, the Sun Devils competed with a 1-2-3 finish. Another ASU lineup finish was in the men's 200 freestyle with House, redshirt junior Julian Hill, sophomore Patrick Sammon and redshirt junior Andrew Gray

Another school record was broken by McCusker as he finished the 100 butterfly with a time of 45.01. This is now the fastest time in the men's Sun Devil history.

The women performed well in the 100 breaststroke as five swimmers finished within the top 15. Sophomore Iza Adame finished in 6th with a time of 1:00.63. Sophomore Emma Gelhert finished in 10th with a time of 1:01.62. 

On the diving side, freshman Lane Stallworth hit a personal best in the three-meter dive hitting a 340.55 to finish in second place overall. Freshman Amayah Wiley finished in sixth place as she also hit a personal best of 229.25. 

The men won the invite with a final score of 2,392.50. In the women's 100-yard freestyle, sophomore Erin Milligan led the Sun Devils finishing in ninth with a time of 49.06. 

After breaking his 400 individual medley record on Friday, Marchand was not done and set another school record in the 200 butterfly with a time of 1:39.57 and he still goes undefeated this season. Redshirt juniors Alex Colson and Gray followed up behind him. 

To close out the night, the women finished third in the 400 freestyle relay. Brown, Looney, Milligan and freshman Ieva Maluka had a time of 3:15.43 which was the third best in program history. 

The dive team finished with a 1-2-3 finish from juniors Zachory Lundgren and Thomas Wesche and Stallworth for their first time competing on the platform in this season. The women's team will compete next on Jan. 14 against Washington State before both teams resume against Stanford on Jan. 20. 

Wrestling 

No. 5 ASU stunned No. 3 Missouri Tigers 19-17 on Nov. 17 in the team's first match at Mullett Arena.

The season home opener had a packed Mullett Arena which helped fuel several big wins.

The heavyweight match between two top-10 wrestlers, ASU redshirt sophomore Cohlton Shultz and Missouri redshirt junior Zach Elam, delivered an eclectic end to the night with Shultz winning 12-4.

Now the Sun Devils will face off in the Keystone Classic in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on Nov. 20 as ASU looks to remain undefeated.

Edited by Kathryn Field, David Rodish and Grace Copperthite.

Reach the reporters at lboykins@asu.edu, whsmith8@asu.edu, sstaple5@asu.edu, dstipano@asu.edu, and bsilvyn@asu.edu and follow them @BoykinsLauren, @walkerrTR, @dstipanovichh, and @BSilvyn on Twitter. 

Walker SmithSports Editor

Walker Smith is a managing editor in the digital department of the State Press. He has previously worked as a reporter and editor on the sports desk and works for Blaze Radio and interned at Big Slate Media in broadcast productions.

Bennett SilvynSports Reporter

Bennett Silvyn is a reporter for the sports desk at The State Press. He has previously worked for Walter Cronkite Sports Network and FC Tucson.

×