State Press Play: What students should know about Super Bowl LVII

Plus, a petition from some Barrett faculty after controversial speakers were invited to campus, and a man was arrested after climbing to the top of Chase Tower

statepressplay-CURRENT
"State Press Play." Illustration published on Thursday, Feb. 11, 2021.

You may have heard Glendale is hosting the Super Bowl this year. There are things students need to know ahead of the big game. Plus, some Barrett, The Honors College faculty petitioned ASU to condemn a controversial group of speakers invited to campus, and a man was arrested for climbing to the top of Chase Tower. Join the State Press podcast desk as it breaks down the ASU community's top stories in the second season of "State Press Play." New episodes every Wednesday.

State Press podcast transcripts are produced by a third-party transcription service and may contain errors. The official record for State Press podcasts is the audio.

SONYA SHEPTUNOV   

Hey there, this is Sonya Sheptunov,   

AUDREY SADLIER   

And I'm Audrey Sadlier.   

SONYA SHEPTUNOV   

You're listening to State Press Play. 

Downtown Phoenix is decked out and ready to host the Super Bowl this week. Senior Reporter Logan Stanley is joining us to talk about everything students need to know about Super Bowl LVII. 

AUDREY SADLIER

Plus a man was arrested after climbing the chase building in downtown Phoenix and a group of Barrett faculty petitioned ASU to distance itself from some controversial speakers coming to ASU campus this weekend. 

SONYA SHEPTUNOV

We got all this and more for you this week. Tune in for the ASU community's top stories every Wednesday right here right now.  

We are four days out from Superbowl 57 metro Phoenix has been preparing nonstop for the big game and the millions of fans that come with it. Senior Reporter Logan Stanley is here with us in the studio today to tell you everything you need to know about this year's Super Bowl. Logan, thank you for being here.   

LOGAN STANLEY   

It's my pleasure. Thank you for having me.   

SONYA SHEPTUNOV   

Has Arizona hosted a Super Bowl before?   

LOGAN STANLEY   

Yes, they actually have. It's their fourth time total. The first time they hosted was actually at Sun Devil Stadium. Because the Cardinals didn't have their own stadium at the time. And it was the cowboys and the Steelers that year. And then there's actually been two more times at the Glendale stadium over at State Farm. And that was in 2008. And the last one was 2015. And that was the infamous Seattle Seahawks Patriots game where Russell Wilson threw interception at the goal line at the very end of the game.   

SONYA SHEPTUNOV   

Wow, small world.   

AUDREY SADLIER   

So Logan, how many people would you estimate have come down to Metro Phoenix for Superbowl 57?  

LOGAN STANLEY   

I was looking at prior estimates for my article. And I was trying to figure out what would be a good timeframe to choose because COVID has kind of disrupted the normal flow of travel. And so I chose the year 2019 Just kind of the last normal symbol we had and this year is kind of the first no trouble we had since in and in. Those numbers are looking at 2019 upwards of 500,000 people have not traveled to the city. And I'm going to guess that number is gonna be even higher. I've seen estimates up in the millions over to 1 million because of Phoenix and Scottsdale. It's just a prime tourist attraction, and it's perfect weather. And finally people are feeling free to travel after the fear of COVID has dissipated for some people.   

SONYA SHEPTUNOV   

Yeah, I've heard about that. Actually, people besides the game, there's also people talking about the Super Bowl experience. Can you tell us a little bit about that?   

LOGAN STANLEY   

Yeah, so there's actually two of those. There's one that is a paid event. And that is at the Phoenix Convention Center. And that one is where there's an NFL theme park, they actually have an area where fans can participate in a 40 yard dash, which is a short sprinting event that's usually used at the NFL Combine to measure the quickness of players. You can also get player autographs and take photos with the Super Bowl rings, and the Vince Lombardi trophy. And then at Hance Park, that one is open to the public and it's free. And they'll have a football team obstacle course and also tailgate experience aimed at pets, which seems pretty neat. So if you have a cat or dog or I guess any kind of pet, you could bring them along. They also have a Frito lays attraction with them being a sponsor this year, Super Bowl, and then they also have a photo opportunity with a 16 foot tall LeBron D trophy. So it's a pretty cool opportunity for people who are looking to get some good IG shots.   

SONYA SHEPTUNOV   

Absolutely.   

AUDREY SADLIER   

So Phoenix is a big city. But there's a limit to how many people things like our roads and light roads and parking can support what kind of disruption should ASU students expect this week?   

LOGAN STANLEY   

Yeah, to be honest, there going to be a lot of disruptions, too many for me to personally name. And there's actually a really cool link that the city has put together, that's actually included my article, they can click on it has all the list of the road closures with the interactive map that tells you when and where and for how long exactly each road closures going to be happening. But for downtown Phoenix, that's the campus that will be the most affected concern. It's the most closest proximity to the Super Bowl experience. And from Monday, January 30, to February 13, the Heritage Square parking garage actually going to be closed. And so permit holders are actually told to park in each garage, and it's going to be free for them. And the bus schedules are operating normally at the moment, except for the maroon shuttle that goes to the Mercado. I'm downtown Phoenix campus. But other than that everything's operating normally,   

SONYA SHEPTUNOV   

For journalism students, especially sports journalists, the Superbowl is kind of a huge deal. What about you? What do you think about all this? Will you be watching, will you be working? What are the vibes?   

LOGAN STANLEY   

Well, it's funny you asked this because last night I had the rare opportunity to cover media at night to go to it and   

SONYA SHEPTUNOV   

I saw that on Twitter!   

LOGAN STANLEY   

Yeah, it was it was amazing, was actually an opportunity that was presented through one of my classes. I'm currently taking a sports culture and commentary class that's taught by Bill Roden who used to work at the New York Times, permitting at three hotels and 16. And He currently works at an escape for ESPN. And he was able to get in some day passes for our class, because we are it's a column writing class. We are proving our opinion writing and kind of getting our own style own voice as a sports writer, kind of deviating from the normal reporting process and asserting our own style into our own writing. And he wanted us one of our assignments was required, we had talked to a NFL player. And so that meant we had to be at some sort of media event. And so he put in passes for us and we got to cover a meeting last night. And it was a pretty amazing opportunity because I was rubbing shoulders with NFL reporters who I look up to, and I actually got to meet and take a photo with my favorite NFL journalist, and I deal with anxiety and last night, it definitely came up but I finally was able to muster up the courage to ask a question to NFL player and it felt good to get that done and to have that on underneath my belt and to move forward. And so I will be working some events in a media capacity but I won't be working the actual game my class we do have an assignment do three hours after the game. So I will be like Rudel. I will be working in that sense for my class. But well, I'll be watching as a as a as a fan as a spectator. And then afterwards, I'll be writing a column throughout the game.   

SONYA SHEPTUNOV

Absolutely. Wow. That's that's crazy for me to think about. Like, some people have like labs or like math homework and your homework assignment was go talk to an NFL player.

LOGAN STANLEY

Yeah, I feel very lucky every single day to do what I do. I was always told, you know, it's a cliche saying, but if you love what you do, you won't work a day in your life. You know, and time and time again. I'm sure you guys can relate. We're always told you know, you're not going to make any money. But the thing is in this industry, I love what I do. And that's what matters to me over anything else.   

AUDREY SADLIER   

So is there anything else ASU students should know?   

LOGAN STANLEY   

One last thing I forgot to mention. Margaret T Hance park on the day of the game. They will have a giant LED screen that everybody can go and watch the game for free. So if you miss a ticket, which I'm sure you did, because the average price to get in as $5,000 You can go there and watch it for free and you know, have a great time. So want to put that out   

SONYA SHEPTUNOV   

And catch the halftime show.   

LOGAN STANLEY   

Exactly. Go Rihanna.   

SONYA SHEPTUNOV   

Go Rihanna! Thank you so much. That was senior reporter Logan Stanley. Thanks for being here today. 

LOGAN STANLEY

My pleasure. It was an honor.

SONYA SHEPTUNOV

You can find Logan at L-S-SCRIBE on Twitter. That's LS scribe. For more on the story, check out the article at state press.com And our Twitter at State Press.   

AUDREY SADLIER   

Stay tuned for more about the man who claimed the chase building in downtown Phoenix yesterday. Plus, some Barrett faculty have petitioned ASU to condemn another controversial speaker visit to campus this week.  Downtown Phoenix was in for a surprise on Tuesday morning when a man scaled the chase building on North Central Avenue. The now vacant building stands 40 storeys high which is just under 500 feet. Maison DuChamps, who calls himself pro life Spider Man, is known for scaling skyscrapers to show support for an anti abortion charity. In the wake of Duchamp's climbing stun, Phoenix PD and fire close down surrounding streets. Duchamp's posted on his Instagram throughout his climb and he made it to the top but when he got there he was arrested for trespassing and public nuisance. For more on the story, check out the article by Angelina Steele Sadie bugle and Alexis Heitmann at state press.com   

SONYA SHEPTUNOV   

Barrett the Honors College is facing resistance from a group of Barrett faculty for platforming controversial speakers at a TW Lewis event later today. Conservative pundit Dennis Prager Turning Point USA founder Charlie Kirk and finance speaker Robert Kiyosaki is invitation to the event drew criticism from Honors College faculty on Twitter. According to multiple Honors College faculty members, the event organizers did not consult faculty like they normally do. Many of them found out about the event titled Health, wealth and happiness through social media. They're at faculty organized a petition urging ASU to condemn the event and distance Barrett the Honors College from the speakers. As of February second, the petition has been signed by 37 Barrett faculty members. For more on this story, read the article by Phineas Hogan at state press.com. Stay tuned for our favorite stories from this week.  

SAM ELLEFSON   

I'm Sam Ellefson, the editor of State Press magazine, our newest print and digital magazine. The culture issue hits campus newsstands February 8, we'll be hosting a release party to handle Macs and shirts on February 16. At the James Terrell era parents structure beginning at 5pm. See you there.  

SONYA SHEPTUNOV   

Did you know ASU has a lab that studies relationships. It's called the relationships and technologies lab and it's devoted to studying all about how people connect digitally like how do you connect with people through social media through dating apps? Does meeting people online feel genuine or fake? Take dating apps for example. You might be surprised to know a love doctor is not responsible for your Tinder matches. It's actually a collaborative filtering algorithm, like the one Netflix uses to recommend you movies based on your search preferences. But with people this was such an interesting read and it was from the State Press. To find out more on the relationship lab and why Tinder can feel like a game sometimes. Check out the article from Audrey Eagleton at state press.com.   

AUDREY SADLIER   

If you've lived on campus at ASU, you're no stranger to the meal plan requirement. Like most colleges, ASU requires all students living in dorms to buy a meal plan. The thought is that students living in dorms bound to a meal plan at a cafeteria or one of the other spots to eat on campus will minimize the amount of food and cooking in residence halls that many students with the required dining hall meal plan find that they're not getting what they paid for. State Press opinion columnist Sam McGee had some hot takes about Asus meal plan. Namely why McGee writes not only are students paying for food they don't especially like but students are also paying for food that does not always accommodate them. So again, I asked why some students like Aleeza Feffer, a freshman studying biomedical sciences deal with dietary restrictions. Other students like Jordan Walhof a senior studying public policy, political science and anthropology feel that sun double dining isn't responsive to resident feedback. And as a person who lives in tailor place. I agree. I feel like there aren't many healthy options served in the dining halls on a daily basis. I'd love to save a couple $1,000 and spend them on food that's actually tasty. For more on the story, check out the opinion column by Sam McGee at state press.com.  Thanks for listening to this episode of state press play. Don't pause this just yet. Follow the State Press on Spotify or anywhere you get your podcasts. Follow us on Instagram and Twitter at State Press. To learn more about the stories we talked about today. Check them out online. You can find all these stories and more at state press.com   

SONYA SHEPTUNOV   

Thank you to Logan Stanley for being here with us this week. This show was edited and produced by the State Press podcast desk.   

AUDREY SADLIER   

Thank you to our editor Sonya Sheptunov. And our managing team Andrew Onodera and Reese Andrews. Our music is courtesy of epidemic sound.   

SONYA SHEPTUNOV   

We've been your hosts Sonya Sheptunov.   

AUDREY SADLIER   

And Audrey Sadlier.  

SONYA SHEPTUNOV   

You've been listening to stay press play. See you next Wednesday.  

Transcribed by https://otter.ai

Sonya SheptunovFull-time Podcast Producer

Sonya Sheptunov is a podcast producer at The State Press. They take an interest in data, counterculture, and all things nerdy. In their free time you can find them drinking too much coffee or attempting to crochet.

×