ASU hockey captain Josh Doan elects to turn pro

The sophomore forward will forgo his junior and senior seasons on ice with the Sun Devils in order to sign a three-year entry-level contract with the Arizona Coyotes

220113 HOC vs Minn St(RVA)-40.jpg

ASU men's hockey captain, sophomore forward Josh Doan (91), awaiting the face off at Mullet Arena on Friday, Jan. 13, 2023, in Tempe. ASU lost to Minnesota State 3-1.

ASU men's hockey team captain and sophomore forward Josh Doan will not return to the Sun Devils for his junior season, instead signing a three-year entry-level contract with the Arizona Coyotes.

PHNX Sports' Craig Morgan reported Thursday morning Doan informed the school's hockey program earlier this week he would opt to turn pro. The contract is a three-year deal that has him playing for the Coyotes' AHL-affiliated Tucson Roadrunners. Arizona drafted him as the 37th pick in the second round of the 2021 NHL Entry Draft.

"Josh has played very well for ASU the past two season and has earned this deal," said Coyotes General Manager Bill Armstrong. "We look forward to continuing to watch his development the remainder of this season in Tucson."

In the 2022-23 season, the captain led the Sun Devils in goals-scored with 16 and was second on the team in assists with 22 and in points with 38 behind senior forward Robert Mastrosimone's 31 and 42, respectively. He capped off the year scoring the game-winning goal in overtime play during the season's finale against Long Island University Saturday.

"When he plays like he knows he's better than everybody, he's better than everybody," said head coach Greg Powers after beating LIU Friday. "It's just inner confidence and belief."

READ MORE: 'The heart of ASU': Student section always in full force at hockey

Doan left his mark on the program during his two-year career in maroon and gold. He scored 28 goals and contributed 49 assists in 74 games played over two seasons. In his first season, he set the ASU single-season record for total points scored as a freshman with 38.

Doan is the son of former Coyotes player and star Shane Doan, who played 21 seasons for Arizona. 

Before enrolling at ASU, Josh played for the Chicago Steel in the USHL for two seasons from 2019 to 2021. He was picked for the USHL Second Team in the 2020-21 season after scoring 70 points during the campaign.

Doan will report to the Roadrunners and will play his first professional game on Friday against the Calgary Wranglers at the Tucson Convention Center Arena. 

Editor's note: This story was updated on March 16 at 6:25 p.m. to confirm Doan's position with the Roadrunners and to include a quote from the team's general manager. It is still a developing story and may be updated.

Edited by Piper Hansen. 

Reach the reporter at whsmith8@asu.edu and follow @walkerrTR on Twitter.

Walker SmithSports Editor

Walker Smith is a managing editor in the digital department of the State Press. He has previously worked as a reporter and editor on the sports desk and works for Blaze Radio and interned at Big Slate Media in broadcast productions.

×