A guide to the 2023 USG Tempe executive officer elections

USG elections are on March 28 and 29, and USG Tempe has three executive tickets on the ballot

USG stock for4/26

Tempe USG is holding its executive ticket elections for 2023-2024 school year on March 28-29.

Undergraduate Student Government Tempe elections are in full swing as three executive tickets announce their run for the positions of president, vice president of policy and vice president of service.

Online voting for USGT elections will open Tuesday, March 28, and will remain open through Wednesday, March 29. Results will be announced March 30.

In addition to the executive ticket, elections are also underway for other positions, including senate seats for each college, assembly seats and Graduate & Professional Student Association positions. The Downtown, West and Polytechnic campuses each have one executive ticket.

The different offices are responsible for addressing needs of the students to the ASU administration, the Arizona Board of Regents and the state Legislature. USG is also in charge of advocating for college affordability, voter registration and providing students a voice.

The election cycles are facilitated by Associated Students of Arizona State University and the USG elections commissioner, Gazal Chhabra, an undergraduate studying materials science and engineering.

The three tickets running for USGT executive office this cycle are under Hannah Berryman, Morgann Kelly and John (Jack) Nethers. 

READ MORE: USG, GPSA election days bring apathetic voters, uncontested races

Berryman Ticket

Hannah Berryman is running for president, Sophia Chez is running for vice president of service and Abby Oldham is running for vice president of policy. Their platform emphasizes transparency, advocacy, responsibility and community.

Berryman is a junior studying psychology and business law. She has served as a USGT senator for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences since 2021 and is currently president pro tempore of the USGT Senate. Berryman has worked in the appropriations and finance committees during her time in USGT.

Berryman said in an emailed statement she wants to make USGT more known to students on campus.

"There is so much power we hold as students, and I wish more people knew about USG and the services we provide," Berryman said.

Chez is a junior studying politics and the economy as well as Spanish literature. Chez has served in USGT as a senator representing Barrett and chaired the finance committee for the past two years.

"I wanted to continue to make this impact throughout college on a bigger scale," Chez said in an emailed statement. "I believe that the process of campaigning brought me out of my shell." 

Oldham is a junior studying business law, Spanish and international business who said she wants "to give back to the community that has helped Arizona feel like my home away from home."

They said they hope to give students streamlined and coherent ways to access services and opportunities for success.

Read more about their platform here

Kelly Ticket

Morgann Kelly is running for president, Harold Rogers is running for vice president of service and Victoria Yusupova is running for vice president of policy. According to their platform, they support accessibility and greater student inclusion.

Kelly is a third-year student studying philosophy and global studies. She is currently the vice president of policy for USGT.

“Beginning as a PR Intern my freshman year and eventually earning the position of vice president of policy, I understand that student leadership is more than just a title,” Kelly said in an emailed statement. “It's about showing passion, care, and support for those around you.”

Yusupova is a junior studying psychology and sociology and is the current director of internal operations for USGT. She said she has a vision for "a more inclusive and student-centered campus community."

Rogers is a junior studying engineering.

"I find value in being able to uplift as many members within the Arizona State student community as possible," Rogers said in an emailed statement.

The campaign said they have set themselves apart by having a commitment to "accessible and accountable leadership," which would implement more procedures for student feedback.

"We also prioritize leadership accountability and transparent communication, actively seeking feedback and providing regular updates to build trust and engagement with the student body," the Kelly campaign said.

Read more about the Kelly ticket’s platform here.

Nethers Ticket

John (Jack) Nethers is running for president, McKenzie Garvin for vice president of services and Mira Camuñez for vice president of policy. They said their campaign focuses on school culture, empowering students, safety and sustainability.

Nethers is a junior studying finance and business data analytics. He has served in USG as the director of finance for the past year.

"I wanted to get into USG originally to give back to the students that had given me so much," Nethers said in an emailed statement. "I want to ensure that no student slips between the cracks, as I did at my old school, that is something that I am incredibly passionate about."

Garvin is a junior studying computer information systems. She has served in USG as a sustainability director and a civic engagement intern.

"Through this USG has helped me create a positive impact on campus while simultaneously promoting so much personal growth for myself and my peers," Garvin said in an emailed statement. "USG has truly shaped me into the leader I am today."

Camuñez is a junior studying business management who said she wants to create a "positive and engaging atmosphere on campus."

The ticket said that although being an ASU student has its challenges, it thinks it can improve student involvement on campus. The team said it focused so heavily on this issue because it "understand(s) that it affects the overall culture and community at ASU."

"Our ticket plans to completely overhaul how USG is marketed to ensure that students are aware of the resources and opportunities available to them," it said.

Read more about the Nethers ticket's platform here

Edited by Shane Brennan, Reagan Priest, Piper Hansen and Greta Forslund. 

Reach the reporters at alysa.horton@gmail.com and greygartin@gmail.com; follow @alysa_horton and follow @greygartin on Twitter.

×