ASU football stadium renamed Mountain America Stadium

The new 15-year naming rights contract is worth almost $50 million

e192458c-73e0-44d8-973f-457457804e2e.sized-1000x1000.jpg

Sun Devil Stadium during the Territorial Cup on Saturday, Nov. 27, 2021. ASU won 38-15.

Sun Devil Stadium is no more.

ASU and Sun Devil Athletics announced Wednesday that it is renaming its football stadium to Mountain America Stadium. The name change gives ASU’s 65-year-old football stadium its first-ever corporate sponsor.

The deal is part of a 15-year agreement with Mountain America Credit Union that an ASU press release called “the most important deal in athletics department history.”

Phoenix Business Journal reported that the deal is worth more than $50 million.

This is not the first partnership ASU has signed with Mountain America. ASU hockey’s training center is named the Mountain America Community Iceplex and the credit union was a founding partner of ASU’s Mullett Arena, which hosts ASU and Arizona Coyotes hockey games. 

Mountain America Credit Union is based out of Sandy, Utah, a suburb of Salt Lake City. It services six states and has eight branches in Arizona. In May, it was named the official credit union of the Phoenix Mercury in a multiyear deal. 

The deal includes Mountain American providing $20,000 annually in scholarships, as well as internship and personal coaching opportunities with the credit union for ASU student-athletes.

"This is one of the important naming rights deals in the history of college sports and that speaks to the power and the future of our brand," ASU President Michael Crow said in a press release. "This agreement creates a pathway to help us compete at the highest levels of athletics in today's changing environment."

READ MORE: Desert Financial Credit Union named ASU's new banking partner

The former Sun Devil Stadium joins Desert Financial Arena, which hosts men’s and women’s basketball, volleyball and other sports, in carrying naming rights partnerships with credit unions. The arena announced its partnership with Desert Financial Credit Union in 2019 and it was then named the University's official banking partner in April. 

The new agreement comes as the future of ASU athletics remains in limbo as the Pac-12 struggles to retain members while searching for a media rights deal. 

Edited by Jasmine Kabiri and Angelina Steel.

Reach the reporter at awakefi3@asu.edu and follow @_alexwakefield on Twitter. 

×