The Echo arts roundup: Aug. 28 to Sept. 3

The guide to all things in and around ASU arts and culture this week

The Echo-echo-arts-roundup-kubasko-828.png

"The Echo made a list of the best of ASU’s artistic showcases and opportunities happening this week, and a little extra from the greater community."

ASU creatives of all sorts are kicking off the semester with events ranging from dance to drama, film to gaming, and painting to sculpting.

If you are having a hard time deciding what to do or where to go, look no further! The Echo made a list of the best of ASU’s artistic showcases and opportunities happening this week and a little extra from the greater community.

Visual Arts

Drawing with Dean

The Art Student (K)oalition will host Drawing with Dean starting on Tuesday, Aug. 29, from 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. in room 420 of ASU's Art Building. At this free event, students will participate in a faculty-led figure-drawing workshop with a live nude model. Participants must bring their preferred medium and their own drawing implements. This workshop is part of an 11-week series. You can RSVP and find other dates on Sun Devil Sync.  

Naturespace workshop: nature drawing session

Relax and draw at the Naturespace workshop on Wednesday, Aug. 30, from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. for ASU students. Bring your own art supplies to sketch Hayden Library’s natural history collection in 311E. Be sure to register through the ASU Library in order to claim your seat. Later dates for this workshop are Sept. 6 and 20, Oct. 4 and 18, and  Nov. 1 and 15. 

"Stop Making Sense" opening reception

Enjoy the surreal and imaginative work of a group of ASU student artists and alumni at the “Stop Making Sense” exhibition at Gallery 100. Works in this collection are by artists Kaitlyn Ashcroft, Soraya Burrow, Devin Dawson, Nicole Everding, Ashley Latin, Natalia López, Jennifer Marcial-Kissi, and Luis Zamora and include acrylic, oil, watercolor and traditional drawing materials. The opening reception for the exhibition will be held on Tuesday, Aug. 29, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. The exhibition will run from Aug. 28 to Sept. 8 during gallery hours from noon to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday. 

Black Student Union Sip N’ Paint

Students can join the Black Student Union (West) for painting, music and drinks in the Delph Courtyard of the West campus on Friday, Sept. 1, from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Sip N’ Paint event. The organization’s duty is to “assist African American students in attaining their educational goals, encourage other African Americans to pursue higher education and promote cultural awareness,” according to their Sun Devil Sync page. You can RSVP and learn more about the Black Student Union’s other events on Sun Devil Sync. 

"Foundations" exhibition

The "Foundations" exhibition in the Harry Wood Gallery of the Art Building explores skateboarding and its influence through the work of artists Benjamin Bobinac, Milan Bobinac, Hunter Boyd, Sawyer Boyd and Clifford Smith. The exhibition is free and open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 28 through Friday, Aug. 31.

Performing Arts

Tango Club practica

The Tango Club at ASU Practica welcomes students of all skill levels to the dance floor in Wexler Hall, room A118, from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 31. Participate in an Argentine tango lesson, open dancing and activities. The Tango Club holds practicas every Thursday, as well as stage Argentine Tango practice on Tuesdays. These events are free, but you should RSVP on Sun Devil Sync. 

Devilettes auditions

ASU’s jazz and hip-hop dance performance team, the Devilettes, will be holding auditions on Saturday, Sept. 2, from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. To try out for this official ASU club sports team, you will need to fill out a waiver and audition form. On audition day, meet in the Sun Devil Fitness Complex Infinity Studio. Wear all black and bring your sun card, tennis shoes, a water bottle, a snack, and optionally jazz shoes. 

Film

Scriptless meeting

Scriptless, ASU’s documentary filmmaking and reality television production club, will hold a meeting this Wednesday, Aug. 30, from 7 to 8 p.m. in room BA 257 of the Business Administration building. Scriptless members will learn about production and gain hands-on experience throughout the semester or school year by working together to produce short documentary films or reality series. Visit Sun Devil Sync to RSVP and learn more about the club.

READ MORE:  Behind the scenes of new student-produced reality show 'Safety'

"Oppenheimer" in IMAX 70mm

ASU cinephiles, did you know that the only place to watch Christopher Nolan’s “Oppenheimer” on a 70mm IMAX screen is in Tempe at the Harkins Theatre Arizona Mills 18? In an interview with the Associated Press, Nolan revealed that this is his recommended viewing experience for the film. Showtimes and dates are available on the Harkins website

Gaming

Society of West ASU Gamers meeting

The Society of West ASU Gamers brings together community members “with a shared interest in all versions of fandoms and gaming, including but not limited to video games, tabletop gaming, and roleplaying games,” according to the club’s bylaws. The club will meet on Thursday, Aug. 31, from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the Kiva Lecture Hall at the ASU West campus. You can RSVP, find details about the weekly Thursday meetings, and join the club discord on Sun Devil Sync. 

Adventurers Wanted Inc. weekly play meeting

Role-playing game enthusiasts, join Adventurers Wanted Inc. this Friday, Sept. 1, from 6 to 11 p.m. in the Farmers Education building, room 228, for an evening of introductions and gameplay. Adventurers Wanted Inc. brings together students with all levels of experience to play Dungeons and Dragons, as well as other systems, and connect players with game masters to create new worlds. This is a recurring Friday meeting. To RSVP, join the club’s discord, and find information about recurring meetings, visit Sun Devil Sync.

READ MORE: Adventurers Wanted: a world beyond Dungeons and Dragons

Markets

University Street Market

The University Street Market is hosting its first-ever Downtown Phoenix flea market on Thursday, Aug. 31. You will need to bring your best tote bag for all of the second-hand fashion finds from this sustainable student event. The market’s Instagram and TikTok are good resources to stay updated on event details for this and other markets, as well as the latest in ASU fashion. 

READ MORE:  ASU students embrace vintage fashion through secondhand suppliers

@usmarizona ASU Tempe's campus was buzzing with energy as we came together to talk about fashion and sustainability. We had a great time sharing our ideas and meeting new people who share our values. It's always so inspiring to be part of a community that cares about the planet and its future. #shopsustainable #nofastfashion ♬ I Think I Like When It Rains - WILLIS

First Friday

Just blocks away from ASU’s downtown campus, Roosevelt Row will come to life at the end of the week for First Friday. This street market and art walk shows off a potpourri of local artists and vendors. There is thrifting, shopping and some killer food trucks giving you a taste of Arizona. The event runs from 6 to 10 p.m. Be sure to research your route and departure times before coming from another campus via light rail or campus shuttle. Street parking is metered. This event reoccurs on the first Friday of each month.

Edited by Claire van Doren, Walker Smith and Sadie Buggle. 

Reach the reporter at spbracci@asu.edu and follow @SophiaBraccio on X. 

×