Arts Event Roundup: Sept. 25 to Sept. 30

Check out the arts in and around campus happening this week

The Echo-echo-arts-roundup-4-kubasko-0918.png

"The Echo made a list of the best of ASU’s artistic showcases and opportunities happening this week, and a little extra from the greater community."

Now that the semester is officially in full swing, students and faculty have produced various art forms, from photography to relaxing art exhibits to fun events intended take the semester's stress off of students' minds. 

Visual Arts

Iphigenia, King's Child

Showings of "Iphigenia, King's Child" continue this week with a free matinee showing on Wednesday, Sept. 27 at 10:00 a.m. in Lyceum Theatre. With a runtime of 90 minutes, the show is a reimagining of the event that helped begin the mythic Trojan War.  

Relentless Courage Photo Exhibit

World-class photographers are bringing images of the Ukrainian frontlines to ASU's downtown campus. Located on the second floor of the Cronkite Building in the Cronkite Gallery, this photo exhibition is free for all to attend. The gallery is open from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Mondays through Fridays.

Free ongoing galleries and exhibits

THE DIAL, ASU Media and Immersive eXperience (MIX) Center until Oct. 5

Echoes Seen: Collaborations in Image and Verse, Step Gallery until Sept. 30

ASU Hispanic Research Center Art Exhibit, Interdisciplinary Building, A Wing, 2nd Floor until Oct. 15

Delia Robles Art Exhibit, Noble Library until Oct. 20

'Nature Imagined' Exhibit, Polytechnic Campus Library until Nov. 12.

Seral Bodies, Northlight Galleries at Grant Street Studios until Nov. 4

'De-Construction: by Popular Demand' Exhibit, Vault Gallery until Dec. 8.

'Hommage de Jules Massenet: Confluence of Art Forms' Exhibit, Music Library until Dec. 15

Indigo Shado: Legends, ArtSpace West until Sep. 29

When Trees Dream, Harry Wood Gallery Building, until Oct. 12

Performing Arts

The Pirates of Penzance

This unique production presented by the Music Theatre and Opera program tells the tale of a boy adopted by pirates. Witness it firsthand in the Evelyn Smith Music Theater on Sept. 28, 29 or 30 at 7:30 p.m., or catch the matinee show at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 1. Ticket are available online exclusively for $12 to $22.

Performance with a View: Kodachrome and Lotus

Looking to add some saxophone to your life this week? This performance features eight saxophones as the ensembles Kodachrome and Lotus perform in quartets and octets for the evening. Catch these award-winning performers at the Tempe Center for the Arts. Attendance is free, but an RSVP is required in order to save your seat.

Film

HLHM: Film Viewing "Ya No Estoy Aqui"

On Thursday, Sept. 28, from 5-9 p.m. at the Senita Ballroom in the Student Pavilion, El Concilio will be partnering with the Sexual and Relationship Violence program to host a viewing event for the film "Ya No Estoy Aqui." The film highlights the critical idea regarding identity, culture and finding a community. 

The First Rainbow Coalition Screening and Talk

This screening of the nationally broadcasted PBS documentary about the 1960's Chicago alliance between the Black Panthers, Young Lords and Young Patriots will take place in the University Center Building on the downtown campus. Afterwards, several professors will host a Q&A. The showing is free for all to attend.

Creative Writing

Indigenous Poets Prize Reading

The Indigenous Poets Prize is a collaboration between the Center for Imagination in the Borderlands (CIB), Red Ink Journal, Thousand Languages Project and the Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing to celebrate the work of Indigenous poets. This virtual event will celebrate the 2023 recipients of the award, given by the Hayden's Ferry Review literary magazine, and is free for all to attend.

Fall Poetry Workshops: Vulnerable Vision Boards

This event is the first in a series of poetry workshops that aims to explore different themes and types of poetic craft. Join moderators Ashanti Files and Kianah Brooks on the final Wednesday of each month from September to November in the Piper Writers House. The workshop will run from 6-7 p.m. on Sept. 27 and is free to attend. All experience levels are welcome!

Poetry Workshop with Kinsale Drake

Experience a workshop led by poet, playwright and performer Kinsale Drake. Cohosted by the Labriola Center and the Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing, this event will be held in the Hayden Library from 3:30 to 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 27. Attendance is free, but space is limited, so RSVP now!

Markets

The Chic x USM Vintage Market

On Tuesday, Sept. 26 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Civic Space Park, The Chic and USGD are collaborating with University Street Market to create a monthly Downtown Phoenix vintage market for students and the general public. This event will allow guests to shop second-hand and purchase handmade goods from local vendors. 

Edited by Claire van Doren, Alexis Waiss and Caera Learmonth.

Reach the reporter at gmccomes@asu.edu and follow @gmccome1 on X.

Gillian McComeskeyPolitics Reporter

Gillian Mccomeskey is a reporter on the Politics Desk. She has been reporting and producing news articles for 4 years. She has been published by 5 news stations.

Claire van DorenThe Echo Editor

Claire van Doren is the Echo desk editor, using her English Literature and Journalism majors to bring insightful, thought-provoking pieces to The State Press. She has a deep love of storytelling that extends to articles, television, podcasts, and novels. 

×