The Echo arts roundup: Sept. 5 to Sept. 10

A shorter week doesn't mean less art at ASU. Check out all our campus has to offer!

The Echo-echo-arts-roundup-2-kubasko-stock-0905.png

"The Echo made a list of the best of ASU’s artistic showcases and opportunities happening this week, and a little extra from the greater community."

With the semester now in full swing, it's easy to get caught up in the rush of academics. Take a break this week to check out the events at and around ASU for a chance to take in some art in whatever form you like best!

Visual arts

Indigenous Comic Book Workshop

Visit the West campus’s Fletcher Library Friday at 5 p.m. to experience the Indigenous Comic Book Workshop with artist Kayla Shaggy. Hosted by the Labriola Center, this free event explores the power of comic books and zines in both the print and digital format to represent Indigenous art and stories by Indigenous creators. Registration for the event is online

New Graduate Exhibition

The New Graduate Exhibition opens Tuesday in the Harry Wood Gallery on the Tempe campus. This exhibition will showcase the work of incoming School of Art MFA students, all coming from different backgrounds and disciplines of art. The gallery opens at 9 a.m. and closes at 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and is free for all to visit. The exhibition’s opening reception will be held next week and it will be open from Sept. 5 to Sept. 14. 

Sculpting Science V

Inspired by the microscopic natural world all around us, this gallery features sculptures and drawings as well as images created using extreme magnification. This unique art exhibition closes on Saturday, so hurry over to the Step Gallery on the Downtown campus while you have a chance! Gallery hours are from noon to 5 p.m. and entry is free.

Free ongoing galleries and exhibits

Delia Robles Art Exhibit, Noble Library until Oct. 20.

'De-Construction: by Popular Demand' Exhibit, Vault Gallery until Dec. 8.

'Nature Imagined' Exhibit, Polytechnic Campus Library until Nov. 12.

Performing arts

Auditions for Scenes from 'The Book of Will'

Auditions are being held on Sept. 7 from 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. for a performance of scenes from Lauren Gunderson’s “The Book of Will”. This performance is part of ASU’s larger celebration of Shakespeare’s First Folio, which also includes a discussion event and a documentary screening. Anyone 18 and over is invited to audition, but should schedule an audition time before arriving.

Joshua Gardner and Friends

This Sunday, Sept. 10, enjoy an afternoon of clarinet music with five performers, including ASU composition faculty Gabriel Bolanos. The event begins at 2:30 p.m. in the Katzin Concert Hall and ends at 4 p.m. Tickets can be bought online and are half off for ASU students. 

Comedy at ASU Show

Two ASU comedy organizations will be performing on the Memorial Union stage on Friday, Sept. 8. Starting at 3 p.m. and running until 10:30 p.m., Farce Side Comedy Hour and Barren Mind Improv will be showcasing a combination of improvisational and stand-up comedy for anyone to enjoy.

Creative writing

Veteran's Writing Circle

Hosted by poet and veteran AJ Baumel, this virtual event invites all veterans to explore the craft of writing in a welcoming community environment. The writing circle is free to attend and will run from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. every first and third Tuesday of the month. 

Film

Encanto - Moonlight Movie Nights

The ASU MIX Center Community Advisory Board is hosting a free showing of Disney’s "Encanto" on Friday starting at 7:30 p.m. at the MIX Center. This is an outdoor, family-friendly showing, so be sure to bring chairs, blankets, snacks or whatever else you may need to get comfortable for a showing under the stars!

Edited by Alexis Waiss, Sadie Buggle and Caera Learmonth.

Reach the reporter at cvandore@asu.edu and follow @cvandoren27 on X.

Claire van DorenThe Echo Editor

Claire van Doren is the Echo desk editor, using her English Literature and Journalism majors to bring insightful, thought-provoking pieces to The State Press. She has a deep love of storytelling that extends to articles, television, podcasts, and novels. 

×