ARTS EVENT ROUNDUP: OCT. 11 TO OCT. 16

From Halloween to Hispanic Heritage Month, there's an arts event for every occasion on campus!

the-echo-echo-arts-roundup-kubasko-102-1.jpg

The Echo made a list of the spookiest of ASU’s artistic showcases and opportunities happening this week, and a little extra from the greater community.

Fall Break is over, and though the semester may be halfway through, that doesn't mean ASU has slowed down with arts events over its four main campuses. While we approach the end of Hispanic Heritage Month and the start of the Halloween season, ease back into campus life with a few fun art events!

Visual Arts

ASU Polytechnic 2023 Student Art Show

Hosted by the College of Integrative Sciences and Arts, come check out this showcase of student art at the Multicultural Communities of Excellence building at the Polytechnic campus. Starting at 3:00 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 16, this event will showcase art and its artists and free food. Attend with just an RSVP!

Artist Talk with Priya Kakati

Hear from artist Priya Kakati alongside Women In Animation at ASU about her experience in the world of animation as an art director and lead concept artist. This online event begins at 5:00 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 16. Attendance is free, but there is an RSVP.

Barrett Art Contest

From next Monday, Oct. 16, until Thursday, Oct. 20, visit the ASU Barrett Mercado B Suite on the Downtown campus for an art competition among Barrett students! All art will be displayed in the suite and on social media, and the winner will receive a prize of art supplies. 

Opening Reception | Speaks for Itself

Attend the opening reception of "Speaks for Itself," a BFA group exhibition of six artists in different mediums. Their work will be on display in Mirabella's Gallery 100 from Wednesday, Oct. 11, until Thursday, Oct. 19, free for all visitors. The opening reception will take place on Oct. 11 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Papel Picado Workshop

The ASU Library’s Community-Driven Archives Initiative is hosting a Papel Picado workshop celebrating Hispanic and Latinx Heritage Month and Día de los Muertos on Thursday, Oct. 12. Visit Hayden Library from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. to attend. Supplies will be provided, and all are welcome to join.

ASU Hispanic Research Center Art Exhibit

Next week is the last week to attend the ASU Hispanic Research Center Art Exhibit, on display in the Hispanic Research Center on the Tempe campus, so check it out while you can! The free exhibit is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily.

Strangers to/in/of/… this world

Hosted in conjunction with The Society for Literature, Science, and the Arts, this multimedia exhibition explores the idea of "alien."  The showcase will open on Monday, Oct. 16, in the Harry Wood Gallery on the Tempe campus and will be open until Oct. 29.

When Trees Dream

This is the final week to see "When Trees Dream," a multimedia exhibition of seven artists curated by Rina Yoon. Located in the Harry Wood Gallery, visit between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. to get a last look at the collection.

Free ongoing galleries and exhibits

Delia Robles Art Exhibit, Noble Library until Oct. 20.

Uninvited Guests Exhibition, Noble Library until Oct. 28.

'Nature Imagined' Exhibit, Polytechnic campus library until Nov. 12.

Seral Bodies, Northlight Galleries at Grant Street Studios until Nov. 4.

'De-Construction: by Popular Demand' Exhibit, Vault Gallery until Dec. 8.

'Hommage de Jules Massenet: Confluence of Art Forms' Exhibit, Music Library until Dec. 15.

Performing Arts

University Resident Theatre Association Workshop

Join the Black Theatre Organization on Thursday, Oct. 12, from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in the Nelson Fine Arts Center for a workshop and information session on the University Resident Theatre Association. Make sure to RSVP, as space is limited.

'Tina — The Tina Turner Musical'

The touring performance of the hit rock n' roll musical arrives at ASU Gammage this week, starting on Tuesday, Oct. 10, and running until Sunday, Oct. 15. Tickets are available online and at the Gammage box office. Prices vary based on seating.

Student Recitals

Check out some of the student recitals happening throughout the week on the Tempe campus! Doctoral students Vladislav Kosminov and Anruo Huang will perform on the piano, and Zeyu Chen and graduate student Jonathan Kuehn will perform on the violin. Undergraduate student Harmon Byerly will perform on the trumpet.

The ASU Jazz Combos

Head to the Recital Hall on the Tempe campus Wednesday, Oct. 11, at 7:30 p.m. to hear up-and-coming jazz stars perform their chosen craft. Hosted by the ASU School of Music, Dance and Theatre, this event is free for all to attend!

Middle: The ASU Concert Choir, The Phoenix Chorale, and The University of Redlands Vocal Chamber Music Program

Witness these three groups' incredible combination of musical talent on Thursday, Oct. 12, at 7:30 p.m. in the Katzin Concert Hall. Featuring the work of Dale Trumbore, Kira Dawn Zeeman, and Darita Seth, tickets for this concert are free.

ASU Dance: Emerging Artists I

Graduate dance students will present multiple half-hour performances of their original choreography on Friday, Oct. 13, and Saturday, Oct. 14, in the MIX Center. Ticket prices range from $10 to $20 and must be purchased in advance at the Herberger Institute’s Box Office.

The ASU Tenor/Bass Extravaganza! Featuring Canticum Bassum and The Westminster Chorus

This is an informal, communal singing event! The Canticum Bassum invites all tenors and basses to the Katzin Concert Hall on Friday, Oct. 13, at 7:00 p.m. for an evening of shared songs. All are welcome to attend this free event.

The Rhythm Of Culture

Visit the Music West Building from 12:20 p.m. to 1:10 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 16, for an hour of combined lecture and performance on traditional Arab music with Karim Nagi. Attendance is free, and no RSVP is required.

ASU Composition Studio Student Recital

Enjoy an evening of music created here at ASU! The School of Music Composition Studio is hosting an evening of new work created by student composers on Monday, Oct. 16, at 7:30 p.m. in the Katzin Concert Hall. There is no charge for entry.

Film

Arabic Film Series: Film Screening, 'In Syria'

Join the ASU Council for Arabic & Islamic Studies for a free virtual movie night on Wednesday, Oct. 11, at 6:00 p.m. "In Syria," winner of six awards at the Magritte Awards, follows the story of a mother in war-torn Syria as she tries to protect her family.

Brother Bear - Moonlight Movie Nights

Take in this Disney classic under the stars at the ASU MIX Center on Friday, Oct. 13. The free showing begins at 7:30 p.m. on the large exterior screen of the center; make sure to bring blankets and chairs!

Writing

Book Talk and Discussion with Ramona Emerson

The Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing and The Labriola Center are jointly hosting a book discussion with writer and filmmaker Ramona Emerson on Friday, Oct. 13, at noon in the Labriola Center. Go to the Hayden Library to attend for free!

An Evening with Joy Harjo: 23rd U.S. Poet Laureate

Take advantage of this fantastic free book signing and public reading opportunity with a U.S. Poet Laureate. Meet a literary legend by visiting the Carson Ballroom in Old Main on Saturday, Oct. 14, at 6:00 p.m.

Desert Nights, Rising Stars Writers Conference

With over 60 speakers, this three-day writing conference is a staple of the Virginia G. Piper Center’s annual offerings. Students can gain admission for a highly discounted $35. The conference begins on Thursday, Oct. 12, and ends on Saturday, Oct. 14, with various events occurring throughout the day.

Edited by Sadie Buggle, Walker Smith and Caera Learmonth.

Reach the reporter at cvandore@asu.edu and follow @cvandoren27 on X.

Claire van DorenThe Echo Editor

Claire van Doren is the Echo desk editor, using her English Literature and Journalism majors to bring insightful, thought-provoking pieces to The State Press. She has a deep love of storytelling that extends to articles, television, podcasts, and novels. 

×