ARTS EVENT ROUNDUP: OCT. 17 TO OCT. 23

As the weather slowly starts to change, the arts on campus stay consistent

The Echo-Echo-art-roundup-kubasko-1016.jpg

The Echo made a list of the spookiest of ASU’s artistic showcases and opportunities happening this week, and a little extra from the greater community.

As the semester once again picks up steam, take a break with a performance or creative activity!

Visual Arts

Opening Reception | In the Spirit of the Hills

Celebrate the work of interdisciplinary artist Steffi Faircloth at the opening reception of her solo exhibition on Friday, Oct. 20. Visit the Step Gallery at 6:00 p.m. and enjoy the works of film, text and sculpture for free!

Barrett Art Contest

The Barrett Art Contest continues until Thursday, Oct. 20. Visit Mercado B Suite on the downtown campus. Art created by Barrett students will be displayed in the suite and on social media. The winner will receive a prize of art supplies. 

Delia Robles Art Exhibit

This is the final week to see the Delia Robles Art Exhibit in Noble Library. This display will be open during regular library hours, which, for students and faculty, is 24 hours a day and five days a week.

Free ongoing galleries and exhibits

Uninvited Guests Exhibition, ArtSpace West until Oct. 28.

'Nature Imagined' Exhibit, Polytechnic Campus Library until Nov. 12.

'Seral Bodies,' Northlight Galleries at Grant Street Studios until Nov. 4

'De-Construction: by Popular Demand' Exhibit, Vault Gallery until Dec. 8.

'Hommage de Jules Massenet: Confluence of Art Forms' Exhibit, Music Library until Dec. 15.

'Revealing Reflections,' Gallery 100 at Mirabella until Nov. 4.

Performing Arts

Barrett Choir and Gospel Choir Concert

Visit Dayspring Church on Thursday, Oct. 19, at 7:30 p.m. for a choral performance by the Barrett Choir and the ASU Gospel Choir. This event is free but does require an RSVP.

K-Pop Social

Join the Tooker Community Assistants and Peer Mentors on Friday, Oct. 20, at 6:00 p.m. in Tooker E-Spaces for free food, free stuff and K-pop music. It’s sure to be a "Bang Bang Bang"!

Undergraduate Student Recitals

Check out the Organ Hall on Monday, Wednesday or Friday this week to see vocal performances from Corbin Cowan, Mary Dewitt, Anna Smith or Jessy Delara. All recitals are free and open to the public.

Cafeteria Comedy Club: Marcello Hernandez

Love laughter? Enjoy the stand-up comedy of Marcello Hernandez at the San Tan Ford Club on Saturday, Oct. 21. Doors open at 6:00 p.m., and general admission tickets are available online for $25.

Brentano String Quartet Residency

Head to the Katzin Concert Hall on Friday, Oct. 20, at 7:30 p.m. for a special performance by the Brentano String Quartet. This classical performance has discounted $10 tickets for students.

MIXiversary Extravaganza and Día de Los Muertos

Celebrate the first anniversary of the MIX Center with a host of family-friendly Día de Los Muertos activities on Saturday, Oct. 21, starting at noon, including a movie on the field! Attendance is free.

Violin Studio 451 Recital

Join the students of Katherine McLin for a celebration of 300 years of violin music. This free performance will begin on Sunday, Oct. 22, at 7:30 p.m. in the Katzin Concert Hall

ASU Trombone Studio Recital

Enjoy music from soloist and chamber groups from the ASU Trombone Studio on Sunday, Oct. 22, at 7:30 p.m. in the Recital Hall. This performance is free for all to attend.

Lights Up! An Evening of Short Plays

Head to the West Campus on Thursday, Oct. 19, at 7:30 p.m. for an evening of short plays performed by current students and alums. The event will be hosted at Second Stage West. Admission is free.

Traveler - Unplugged

ASU Kerr will be hosting a performance by Scott Jeffers and his band Traveler on Saturday, Oct. 21, at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $25 per person.

Film

Arabic Film Series: 'Son of Babylon'

The ASU Council for Arabic & Islamic Studies is hosting another free virtual movie night on Thursday, Oct. 19, at 6:00 p.m. "Son of Babylon" was the winner of the Amnesty Film Award & Peace Prize at the 60th Berlin International Film Festival in 2010.

The History of the Future: The Truman Show

Join the ASU Center for Science and the Imagination on Wednesday, Oct. 18 at 7:00 p.m. to view "The Truman Show" at the Majestic Cinema Grill as part of the center’s "History of the Future" series, exploring past imagining of the future. 

Movies on the Lawn — Encanto

Catch Mirabel and her family on the SDFC lawn on Friday, Oct. 20, at 7:00 p.m. Be sure to bring a chair or blanket for a relaxing evening. Tickets are free.

Movie Night: "Norma Rae"

The ASU Center for Work and Democracy is hosting a screening of the 1979 Oscar-winning film "Norma Rae" on Monday, Oct. 23, at 6:00 p.m. in Durham Hall, room 210. Attendance is free.

Writing

Open Mic hosted by Hayden's Ferry Review and Thousand Languages Project

Join two incredible organizations for an open mic night at the Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing on Tuesday, Oct. 17, starting at noon. Share your creative work, including poems, prose, short stories and music, with just an RSVP!

Edited by Alysa Horton, Walker Smith and Caera Learmonth.

Reach the reporter at cvandore@asu.edu and follow @cvandoren27 on X.

Claire van DorenThe Echo Editor

Claire van Doren is the Echo desk editor, using her English Literature and Journalism majors to bring insightful, thought-provoking pieces to The State Press. She has a deep love of storytelling that extends to articles, television, podcasts, and novels. 

×