Baldwin, Conyers mark first departures in Sun Devil offseason

Offensive coordinator Beau Baldwin and tight end Jalin Conyers will not return to ASU football next season

conyers and baldwin.jpg
ASU football offensive coordinator Beau Baldwin and ASU redshirt junior tight end Jalin Conyers (12) will be leaving the ASU football program after this past season.

ASU football offensive coordinator Beau Baldwin and redshirt junior tight end Jalin Conyers won’t be returning to the team next year, marking the first change for the program as it embarks on its offseason. 

Conyers revealed via Instagram Wednesday morning that he would be entering the transfer portal as a graduate with one year of eligibility remaining. Conyers didn’t name a specific reason for the departure but expressed much appreciation for the program in his post.

“To Coach Dillingham, Coach Mohns, and Coach Wade, thank you for helping me to continue turning myself into the player and man I want to be all while challenging, encouraging, and believing in me,” the post read. 

Conyers proved to be a versatile player in the second half of the season, with the coaches placing him in the quarterback position for new plays. The change was part of an effort to generate a spark in the offense, which notoriously lagged throughout the season. The change wasn’t enough, nor was Baldwin’s presence as the offensive coordinator. 

Since joining the team as a redshirt freshman in 2021, Conyers has played in 34 games, accumulating 846 receiving yards and 74 receptions, and this year tallied 20 passing yards. His breakout year was 2022 when he scored five touchdowns and 422 receiving yards. 

Dillingham will now have to find, or develop, a new offensive weapon, as Conyers and his production on and off the field will surely be missed. 

Baldwin was also reported on Wednesday to be departing from the team, first reported by ESPN’s Pete Thamel. 

Dillingham took over calling the offensive plays early in the season after the team’s loss to Fresno State. Despite the transfer of power, the offense still placed 109 out of 130 ranked teams in the FBS, averaging 4.75 yards per play and 322 offensive yards per game. 

The offense has also faced unfortunate circumstances this season with an onslaught of injuries and a rotating carousel of starting quarterbacks. It has had to rely on other players, notably running back junior Cam Skattebo and Conyers, to make passes during games, but it didn’t do much to mend a 3-9 record. 

No one specific has been released regarding who will take over Baldwin’s position. 

Edited by Vinny DeAngelis, Jasmine Kabiri and Caera Learmonth.

Reach the reporter at katrinamic03@gmail.com and follow @kat_m67 on X.

×