ASU hockey suffers first sweep in pair of sloppy losses to Cornell

ASU showed big signs of struggle for the first time all season in a pair of home losses, dropping them in the polls and setting up a crucial stretch in the season

Sports-hockey-cornellweekend-recap

ASU sophomore forward Charlie Schoen (82) attacked Cornell's goal on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2024 at Mullet Arena in Tempe. ASU lost 4-1. 

In the ranked rematch in Tempe between then No. 18 Cornell and No. 11 ASU, the Sun Devils were swept for the first time this season, ending their 11-game win streak and putting a damper on their winning ways at home.

On Friday, ASU found themselves in a 2-0 hole heading into the third period. In a game that seemed out of reach, the Sun Devils managed to claw their way back into it in the third period but were unable to hold on to the win.

“I’m proud of our guys. To fight back down two is not easy to do, and they did it tonight to force overtime, which is big (for pairwise rankings),” head coach Greg Powers said.

Junior defenseman Ethan Szmagaj and junior forward Jackson Niedermayer both scored early in the third to tie the game. The thunderous roars at Mullett Arena carried them into overtime, where ASU has been solid this season with a then 5-1-4 record.

Niedermayer’s goal was his fourth of the season in a stretch since mid-December. Niedermayer also scored a goal in the 2-2 tie against Cornell on Dec. 30 at Adirondack Winter Invitational.

“I think the biggest thing is just being consistent and being versatile,” Niedermayer, who has faced injury and a switch from defenseman to forward during his time with the team, said. “Whatever coach Powers needs me to do, I'll do it, and obviously some bad luck with injuries ... but just doing what I can to help the team.”

The excitement in Mullett was short-lived as Big Red freshman Ben Robertson silenced the crowd in overtime, winning 3-2 and ending ASU’s win streak.

“They did a good job possessing it — just all standard things that we have to (do better),” senior forward Benji Eckerle said. “I think fatigue also played a factor with a shorter bench today. We've had a lot of good luck in overtime this year, but that just wasn’t the case today.”

Despite the hopeful mindset in the locker room that ASU could reset and split the series with Cornell, they failed to obtain a lead in game two on Saturday, losing 4-1. 

For the Big Red, sophomore Nick DeSantis scored his first pair of goals this year in the series, with one in each game. Robertson also scored in game two following his overtime winner on Friday. 

The lone goal came on the power play from senior Matthew Kopperud for his thirteenth goal of the season, but with the score coming over halfway into the third period, it was too late for a Sun Devil comeback. This pair of losses is the first time ASU has been swept this season, and just their fourth and fifth losses of the season overall.

“It’s obviously disappointing; we battled back (Friday) and dropped a heartbreaker, and with how we started (Saturday), we felt really good; I thought we played really good; it is what it is,” Powers said. “We have 12 games left, and we are still well within striking distance … now we just need to go win.”

ASU will now start a critical stretch of series versus unranked teams that will help determine whether they are good enough to qualify for the NCAA tournament. The first test comes this weekend against Augustana, where the Sun Devils will try to secure the sweep at home and get back on track.

Edited by Alfred Smith III, Sadie Buggle and Caera Learmonth.

Reach the reporter at jcarte58@asu.edu and follow @Justincarter880 on X.

×